Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Startup a Creche In Home Garden

Options
  • 06-02-2017 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hey there, I am planning to start up a creche in my back garden. My back garden is 7.5m * 8m (a nice rectangle). My plan is to build a 7.1m * 3.5m garden room to facility the creche. This garden room will separate with the main house.

Regarding the garden room and the childcare business, what plan permission do I need and how to apply plan permission for the garden room? Can any agency apply for the permission for me? Or some construction company can build the rooms and apply for the permission? Or even possible to start a creche in the back garden?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Give the HSE a call before committing any funds to your idea. They can be a major pain to deal with when it comes to approving a creche, even if/when you do everything by the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

c00114110 wrote: »
    Hey there, I am planning to start up a creche in my back garden. My back garden is 7.5m * 8m (a nice rectangle). My plan is to build a 7.1m * 3.5m garden room to facility the creche. This garden room will separate with the main house.

Regarding the garden room and the childcare business, what plan permission do I need and how to apply plan permission for the garden room? Can any agency apply for the permission for me? Or some construction company can build the rooms and apply for the permission? Or even possible to start a creche in the back garden?

You should arrange a pre planning meeting with your local council. They will tell you fairly quick if getting planning for a crèche in your garden is even a viable idea before you commit to any major expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've never yet heard of a creche that only has one room.

What will you do for a sleeping area? Toilets? Staff area?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 c00114110

It will have a sleeping room and toilet. But the staff room will be in the main building.

I am bit confusing the process here. Where should I talk first the HSE or local council?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Can we assume you are qualified?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Have you checked the space regulations for creches? 
    As far as I know it's a minimum requirement of 2.3 square metres per child for children over the age of 2, and 3.5 square metres for under 2. 

You've got 24 sqm there, but some will be used for a toilet and changing area. So maybe 20 remaining... That's 5 children.

racso1975 wrote: »
    Can we assume you are qualified?

No me, but my wife. She has level 8 childcare cert and work in creche in last eight years, fully qualify to open a creche.

pwurple wrote: »
    Have you checked the space regulations for creches? 
    As far as I know it's a minimum requirement of 2.3 square metres per child for children over the age of 2, and 3.5 square metres for under 2. 

You've got 24 sqm there, but some will be used for a toilet and changing area. So maybe 20 remaining... That's 5 children.

It will be a small creche. If the business goes well, we can move from the main house, have more space for the creche. But currently, we just want to start up the creche with mini impact our current life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

No me, but my wife. She has level 8 childcare cert and work in creche in last eight years, fully qualify to open a creche.

She may be fully qualified to work ina creche, but runnign a creche is a totally different proposition.

1 - Planning permission will be required. Certainly if someone wanted to open a creche beside me, i'd be objecting due to both potential traffic issues and noise issues.

2 - Heath and safety and regulations. This is a minefield. You are 100% responsible for the safety of the children from the minute they are on your premises and many parents are over protective. You needseperate food prep areas (your own kitchen won't do) you need a sleeping room, you need activity room, you need adequate outdoor arae.

3 - Staff. Garda vetting is a requirement. They will also need qualifications and you will need to manage a payroll.

4 - Insurance. Even if you get all above correct you will need public liability insurance and this will be about €1500 - €2000 a year for a creche of 20 - 30.

In essence, there's a reason there are no "small" creches because the fixed costs are substantial and they remain similar whether it for 5 children or 25 children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Where abouts do you live ?

@Delacent, you are 100% correct. Most money will spend on facilities and settlements. So it is no small or big in that point of view. However in another side, does that mean if the creche is started, it doesn't need much money to run.

I am aware the neighbour's objection is crucial, I have a good relationship with them, I hope we can solve it out. Assume it is not an issue.

Sound the plan permission and the HSE permission are the first steps to dealing with.

Bandara wrote: »
    Where abouts do you live ?

We currently live in the main building which is a three-bed semi-detach house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

We currently live in the main building which is a three-bed semi-detach house.

I meant are you in or close to Dublin ? I'm not asking to be nosey.

If you are I was going to suggest you make it your business to view this house for sale :

https://www.daft.ie/11372488

Fully fitted and operating crèche in the back garden, with full planning etc I would presume. Could be a very valuable source of free info for you to arrange to view it and see how they managed it.

(Disclaimer- I've nothing to do with the place at all).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

@Delacent, you are 100% correct. Most money will spend on facilities and settlements. So it is no small or big in that point of view. However in another side, does that mean if the creche is started, it doesn't need much money to run.

I am aware the neighbour's objection is crucial, I have a good relationship with them, I hope we can solve it out. Assume it is not an issue.

Sound the plan permission and the HSE permission are the first steps to dealing with.

Possible good news -

Looks like regulations and guidelines changed last year that encourages smaller local child minding services.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/pre_school_education_and_childcare/health_safety_and_welfare_of_preschool_childcare_services.html

My wife looked at something in the same sector about 3 years ago and the costs and regs meant it was either a 30+ person service or none.

So maybe with the new guidelines and approval from neighbours (positive is that there would be 'eyes' about for security). I'd avoid toddlers under 2 though.

I'd certainly have a viewing of the property above and ask questions as a potential buyer to gain valuable information.

Ongoing costs after setup are not huge - staff, light/heat, food and upkeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Insurance!!!

Bandara wrote: »
    I meant are you in or close to Dublin ? I'm not asking to be nosey.

If you are I was going to suggest you make it your business to view this house for sale :

https://www.daft.ie/11372488

Fully fitted and operating crèche in the back garden, with full planning etc I would presume. Could be a very valuable source of free info for you to arrange to view it and see how they managed it.

(Disclaimer- I've nothing to do with the place at all).

Yep, that is actually the deal came from. I actually saw this property last Saturday. It is much smaller than where I am living now. The background has only 2/3 size of my garden.

@Delacent Tusla looks very helpful here.

Advertisement