Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade from socket 1155

Options
  • 06-02-2017 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? €500

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming/Video editing.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Yes
    • M/B: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX
    • CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Box, LGA1155
    • Power: Corsair 850HX, 850 Watt
    • Hard Drive: Samsung SSD 850 250GB
    • GFX: HIS R9 270X IceQ Boost Clock 2GB GDDR5
    • Case: FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse DEFINE R3 Silver Arrow
    • Mem: (x2)8GB-Kit GEIL Value Plus PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 CL9
    5. Do you need a monitor? No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920x1080 (could be more, I'll edit this later)

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Any

9. When are you purchasing? No hard date

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? No assistance needed, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

You aren't going to build a better computer than what you have, for that budget.
    A graphics card update is just about all I can see as being a benefit here. Something like a GTX 1070 would work nicely if you overclock the i7 a bit up to 4.2~4.5GHz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes for gaming, overclock it (if you want, not strictly needed) and get an RX480 8GB/GTX1060 6GB if 1080p, GTX1070 8GB if considering 1440p in future.

GTX1070 right now at standard 60hz 1080p isn't great value as the card will be largely going to waste and an RX480 will handle it excellently, massive upgrade on your 270X for €250 odd. If getting the GTX1070 with a bigger monitor, overclocking the 2600K would also be more ideal in that case.

2600 even at stock is still a very decent processor, and if overclocked it's still excellent. I was playing BF1 on a standard i7-2600 at 3.4Ghz last night and some of the more hectic maps (like Empire's Edge) still get around 70fps average, smaller maps up to around 90-100fps (Argonne).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Thanks Guys, based on your recommendation I will be on the lookout for an RX480 (maybe this RX480 or this 1060). I'll overclock the GFX also as I'd like to get faster renders on Sony Vegas video editor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

So, the Rx480 is slower by about 10% with DX11 (most current games), but has more DX12 support (more future proof).

The clincher for me might be which has better software for streaming (if any)??? I sometimes like to look at replays so I might use OBS to record/stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Nvidia has the ShadowPlay software, which is pretty simple and a decent alternative to OBS.
    To my knowledge, AMD has an equivalent feature.

Both are just fine for streaming, as long as you set up OBS correctly to use the GPU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

ShadowPlay is kinda pants atm, every time I try to make a quick recording it messes up the sound by trying to mux in the microphone :/

Advertisement