Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy goes crazy in my sitting room & pees on the couch

Options
  • 06-02-2017 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I recently got a puppy, He's a Yorkie Maltese cross, he's now 8 months old. He's 90% house trained, he will usually go to the door to get out etc etc but has the very odd accident. He's an indoor dog but I bring him for a walk everyday, 4km - 6km. He spends most of his time with us in the kitchen and he's very pleasant and playful but once he gets into the sitting room, it's like a switch goes off in his head and he loses his mind!! He's buzzing around the place and freaking out, and if he gets up onto the couch, he will pee on it 99% of the time!!

Sometimes we have to confine him to the kitchen in the evenings when we are trying to relax in the sitting room, he just doesn't let up!! I've tried leaving him "get it out of his system" but he stayed in this mad buzz mode for over an hour! Like I said, when he's back in the kitchen, he's a different dog, so placid!

Any ideas? Is it something about the room that makes him freak out?

Ps: He was neutered 4 weeks ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭tk123

What are you cleaning the week up with for starters? Bio washing powder is the best thing to break down the enzymes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

tk123 wrote: »
    What are you cleaning the week up with for starters? Bio washing powder is the best thing to break down the enzymes.

Yep, I've been giving the couch a good scrub, the peeing thing has only happened twice but I want to nip it in the bud, the freaking out and going crazy in the sitting room thing is every night!!

Any thoughts on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Steve_o wrote: »
    Yep, I've been giving the couch a good scrub, the peeing thing has only happened twice but I want to nip it in the bud, the freaking out and going crazy in the sitting room thing is every night!!

Any thoughts on that?

It sounds like he is doing zoomies. Is he running around the sitting room very fast all excited? It could be the excitement of being let into the sitting room & if it becomes less of a novelty he might stop! Is it possible he is also peeing with excitement?

My young bitch does the same & even jumps from sofa to sofa!

Knine wrote: »
    It sounds like he is doing zoomies. Is he running around the sitting room very fast all excited? It could be the excitement of being let into the sitting room & if it becomes less of a novelty he might stop! Is it possible he is also peeing with excitement?

My young bitch does the same & even jumps from sofa to sofa!

Yeah, that's it! He goes nuts, running around in circles, sprinting around the room! It could be that he is peeing with excitement, but he only pees when he's on the couch though, which is making me think it's something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Steve_o wrote:
    Yeah, that's it! He goes nuts, running around in circles, sprinting around the room! It could be that he is peeing with excitement, but he only pees when he's on the couch though, which is making me think it's something else.

When he's on the sofa do you try to shoe him or take him off? I'm just asking as he may think that it's a game and become over excited and then pee.

• Advertisement

Bells21 wrote: »
    When he's on the sofa do you try to shoe him or take him off? I'm just asking as he may think that it's a game and become over excited and then pee.

Yeah, I normally try and catch him to put him down, that sounds like it could what's happening, because he freaks out but he's doing the play bow so he definitely thinks its a game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Steve_o wrote:
    Yeah, I normally try and catch him to put him down, that sounds like it could what's happening, because he freaks out but he's doing the play bow so he definitely thinks its a game!

That might be it then. Perhaps you could practice stay/wait on the ground with lots of rewards? It might be an idea to have a bed for him in that room and teach him to settle there, you could use something like a Kong with something frozen in it as it will take him longer to eat?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

sounds like zoomies with excitement all right
    I would put his harness and leash on, take him in and out of there - just a walk through - every 5-10 mins until it becomes normal and the novelty wears off.
    Do it for as long as it takes to calm him down
    Give him a treat in the kitchen when you have had a successful walk through (with no nuttiness)
    Talk to him when you walk him through - calm voice - if you have a harness on you will have more control when he tries to go nutty - hold him on a short leash. calm voice walking through sitting room, then Treat and praise back in the kitchen. Make the walk through last a bit longer when hes getting the idea - maybe sit on the sofa with him on the floor for a minute, then back out again.

"zoomies" is complete random excitement - peeing is very common when they're that over-excited! Maybe Zoomies should be put in the Oxford English DIctionary!!!

(Just wondering could the carpet be odd - in that its got electro-static building up or something?!>!?!?!?)

aonb wrote: »
    sounds like zoomies with excitement all right
    I would put his harness and leash on, take him in and out of there - just a walk through - every 5-10 mins until it becomes normal and the novelty wears off.
    Do it for as long as it takes to calm him down
    Give him a treat in the kitchen when you have had a successful walk through (with no nuttiness)
    Talk to him when you walk him through - calm voice - if you have a harness on you will have more control when he tries to go nutty - hold him on a short leash. calm voice walking through sitting room, then Treat and praise back in the kitchen. Make the walk through last a bit longer when hes getting the idea - maybe sit on the sofa with him on the floor for a minute, then back out again.

"zoomies" is complete random excitement - peeing is very common when they're that over-excited! Maybe Zoomies should be put in the Oxford English DIctionary!!!

(Just wondering could the carpet be odd - in that its got electro-static building up or something?!>!?!?!?)

Brilliant! I'll definitely try that! Thanks so much!

Also, the kitchen is tiles and the sitting room is wooden floor, so no static.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

If there are tiles in the kitchen, when he goes zooming around the sitting room wooden floor, slipping and sliding will add to the excitement - you could put a rug or runner down in there too maybe?!?

• Advertisement

aonb wrote: »
    If there are tiles in the kitchen, when he goes zooming around the sitting room wooden floor, slipping and sliding will add to the excitement - you could put a rug or runner down in there too maybe?!?

We have a rug by the fire that he will sleep on the rare times he doesn't freak out! I will give the leash training a go to get rid of the novelty of the sitting room for him!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 JoeyReagan

This sounds like excitement, marking his territory and wanting attention/affection, all very common issues with puppies, I would be more concerned if he DIDN'T exhibit some of these traits. If you consult your local vet they might be able to advise you best on what to do if the behavior becomes any worse.

Advertisement