Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3DR Solo Smart Aerial Drone 299 on iBood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I nearly bit. As always wanted a drone but then steadied myself and read some reviews.

If you have a go pro it seems like a no brainier if not from reading a few reviews the phantom 3 might be a better starting point. It's not cheaper this morning but I'm sure at some time it will be.

Think I'll leave it for my santa list sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I nearly bit. As always wanted a drone but then steadied myself and read some reviews.

If you have a go pro it seems like a no brainier if not from reading a few reviews the phantom 3 might be a better starting point. It's not cheaper this morning but I'm sure at some time it will be.

Think I'll leave it for my santa list sometime.

Available refurbished from here http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/dji/phantom-3-standard-drone-refurbished-106158/show.html

Good price too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭Homer

I got a solo about 13 months ago and paid around €1600 so its a relative bargain at that price.

Do bear in mind that the price does not include the gimbal (hold the camera steady in flight) which is a vital part. Below are some shots that I captured over the last 12 months or so to give you an idea of what can be achieved with a go pro and some editing software such as lightroom etc..

It would be a very cheap way of getting a good quality drone. The other alternative as some have mentioned would be a DJI phantom 3.

File%2002-06-2016%2011%2007%2026.jpeg

File%2002-06-2016%2011%2013%2026.jpeg

Portmarnock%20Beach-45.jpg

Kuramathi-21.jpg

Watermarked%20Photo%202016-06-24-1904.jpg

Watermarked%20Photo%202016-06-24-2001.jpg[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Wondered why it was being sold at a cut down price and noticed that 3DR has stopped production of all drones and will not be making any more. Still looks like a good price once your happy that your support will most likely end very soon...and I've ordered one :)

They have moved into the commercial space and are focusing on that end of the business. They are stillmanafacturing the drone but not for the retail division.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

For anyone who has bought one, seems you can get a 3-Axis 3DR Solo Gimbal for GoPro here for a goodish price shipped/delivered/customs pre-paid for €61-ish. I've taken a punt on that so twill see if it all plays nice. Might finally get to use that GoPro3+ I got an age ago and never really used

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

stunning pics homer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭SteM

Was so close to picking one of these up but once I started reading about the state of 3DR I got cold feet. Looks like a great piece of kit though.

Homer, the price I read on Forbes said they've stopped hardware production.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanmac/2016/10/05/3d-robotics-solo-crash-chris-anderson/#6533db054840
    “We’re not making anymore Solos and we’re not going to make another drone,” said Anderson, who suggested that 3D Robotics would start developing software for other drone makers. “I love the idea of other companies making hardware so we don’t have to and we can focus on the software and services side. We’re a Silicon Valley company and we’re supposed to be doing software and there are Chinese companies that are supposed to be doing hardware.”

brightkane wrote: »
    stunning pics homer

Cheers.. Drone gives a whole new perspective!
    SteM wrote: »
    Homer, the price I read on Forbes said they've stopped hardware production.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanmac/2016/10/05/3d-robotics-solo-crash-chris-anderson/#6533db054840

My bad, I thought they were still making a commercial version.. Considering what I paid for mine not that long ago it represents amazing value for someone thinking of picking one up. Of course there are considerations in relation to warranty etc but I would think that the warranty is still with the retailer and that hopefully 3DR would honour warranty on any drones sold while they are still in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

out of curiosity what were the images like prior to editing?

• Advertisement

brightkane wrote: »
    out of curiosity what were the images like prior to editing?

If I get a chance later on I'll post a before/after shot. You will always be limited by the dynamic range and resolution of the GoPro itself but I've been more than happy with what it has produced (with some tweaking in post process) for the last 13 months.

Advertisement