Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford - The Special County

Options
  • 06-02-2017 1:46am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not being a Wexford man myself, I've always been attracted to your County. The better weather, the good land, the strawberries, the pretty towns. The old English dialect that used to be spoken in parts of the County. The Hook peninsula, Kilmore Quay, Wexford town, Enniscorthy.

I notice how posters here seem to put down Enniscorthy a lot - but I think it's a rather beautiful town in comparison to drab Midlands towns. There is definitely something unique and special about Wexford. So much so that I have plans to move there.

Anyone else think Wexford is special?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

STAMPS.PNG

One of the few bright lights in Enniscorthy that makes the place tolerable. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Not being a Wexford man myself, I've always been attracted to your County. The better weather, the good land, the strawberries, the pretty towns. The old English dialect that used to be spoken in parts of the County. The Hook peninsula, Kilmore Quay, Wexford town, Enniscorthy.

I notice how posters here seem to put down Enniscorthy a lot - but I think it's a rather beautiful town in comparison to drab Midlands towns. There is definitely something unique and special about Wexford. So much so that I have plans to move there.

Anyone else think Wexford is special?:)

Yea I love Wexford, great county (and I'm a Kilkenny man :D). The people actually make it for me- find them very friendly and have a sense of humour /good nature I can't put me finger on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

As a county Wexford is a nice spot,beaches,mountains etc.Yes we put down Enniscorthy but that's dying a death due to as Del Mote called them "the landed gentry" ruining it retail wise.It was a vibrant town with decent employment but not now.Compared to midlands towns it's like paradise however.
    I can see property prices explode in the county as soon as the bypass is done,motorway all the way to Dublin and people migrate away from the sky high living costs and try to have some quality of life.There's a lot to be said for a stroll in Curracloe or a windy day down at The Hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 gomgat

I'm a blown-in meself, moved to Wexford Town 5 months ago and it is indeed a special County. Some local people do put it down, but that's an Irish thing in general I think. A lot of people here ask me why on earth I chose Wexford. It's just got something that draws you in. I love Enniscorthy as well, but it seems to be suffering under bad council management, it's a beautiful spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I agree Wexford is a fantastic town, I would move there myself except husband prefers Kilkenny. The Wexford people are lovely and have a great sense of humour, recently stayed at the Witford Hotel just outside the town and it was 100% fantastic, never come across a better hotel and we have travelled a lot worldwide. The staff were amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭Corvo

Born and bred in the town, so I've seen a lot of highs and lows in it. Some years ago, I felt it had become quite rough, but that has certainly eased off again. Certain parts of the town are booming, but other parts have become neglected, though I realise that likely happens everywhere. It has become a real hotspot for good food, with some brilliant brilliant places to eat. I believe Tom Doorly said similar. Sport remains a strong point and there are some really decent facilities also. My personal favourite is the quay front, its beautiful on an early sunny morning, and I think if the old supermarket / Fordes building is renovated, it would look even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sportzstar

Get yourself to The Hook Peninsula.

Greta scenery and lots of nice places to eat.

The walk from Hook Head to Slade along the cliffs is truly something special to behold, very serene.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Have to say I love the place too, delighted that it looks like I won't have to leave in order to find work long-term. Quite a pity the same can't be said for many other people of my age. As you say, it's a special county :)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

I'm from Kildare, and have been holidaying in Wexford town every summer for the past 26 years. Love the place. My kids couldn't wait for school holidays or bank holiday weekends, to get down there. Great county, lovely people and great pubs / restaurants / hotels. Love Hook and Kilmore Quay as well. Only last weekend my youngest child (13yo) wanted to know when we were going to Wexford.

And don't forget Meyler's for the best fresh fish, and Tengs for the spring rolls!!!

A great win in the hurling yesterday evening.Even after so many lean years we turn out to support the county.

A sour note though was the vandalism around Wexford town as highlighted by The Tidy Towns Committee.Flowerbeds and planters wrecked around the town,can people not celebrate without wrecking the place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

I've always loved Wexford. Hookhead and that lighthouse is something else! It's meant to be oldest in the world I read.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I must say I've never got the gushing praise for the Hook Lighthouse and I like lighthouses. My visitor experience was poor but it was the price gouging in the cafe that I found the most objectionable. Judging from TripAdvisor I'm in a minority although the separate TripAdvisor page for the cafe is less enthusiastic with 20% of respondents giving it an average to poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

zerks wrote: »
    A great win in the hurling yesterday evening.Even after so many lean years we turn out to support the county.

A sour note though was the vandalism around Wexford town as highlighted by The Tidy Towns Committee.Flowerbeds and planters wrecked around the town,can people not celebrate without wrecking the place?

I saw the pics earlier.

CCTV should be used to identify the muppets (cleanest word I can think of) & they should be made clean up the town every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I must say I've never got the gushing praise for the Hook Lighthouse and I like lighthouses. My visitor experience was poor but it was the price gouging in the cafe that I found the most objectionable. Judging from TripAdvisor I'm in a minority although the separate TripAdvisor page for the cafe is less enthusiastic with 20% of respondents giving it an average to poor.

That's a pity. I've not been into the Cafe but would hate to see it giving off such a poor experience. I like going down when I'm down that part of the world and chilling by the shore in the shadow of the lighthouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Corvo wrote: »
    My personal favourite is the quay front, its beautiful on an early sunny morning, and I think if the old supermarket / Fordes building is renovated, it would look even better.
    Halfway there, the former Forde's restaurant is now a solicitor's practice and looking very nice. The former supermarket is up for sale for redevelopment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Supermarket site has been sold it's in a planning stage at the moment.

Shame what happened to it though Lowneys Mall was such a vibrant busy place especially the cafe but Tesco and council didn't care about the place when Tesco moved

Be great to see Lowneys Mall or whatever new name come back to former glory

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

There's plans to rip it out and start again.

Great to meet loads of families around the county that travelled down from the North for the Feile. They left behind cloudy,drizzly weather and had to break out the factor 50 down here under cloudless skies.

Advertisement