Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beagle A Suitable Dog for City Suburbs?

Options
  • 06-02-2017 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

My sister is thinking about getting a Beagle. Their last dog died recently. The children were all devastated but everybody seems ready to move on now. Never thought of a beagle until recently. My reaction was that beagles are hunters and that they bark a lot.

I'm not convinced that it's a suitable dog for having in a housing estate. Would it be liable to try to wander off or be barking a lot?

Thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

My sister is thinking about getting a Beagle. Their last dog died recently. The children were all devastated but everybody seems ready to move on now. Never thought of a beagle until recently. My reaction was that beagles are hunters and that they bark a lot.

I'm not convinced that it's a suitable dog for having in a housing estate. Would it be liable to try to wander off or be barking a lot?

Thanks for any feedback.

Beagles are lovely friendly little dogs but have a strong hunting instinct. They are great with children but not so good for recall when you let them off the lead.

They bark & howl but not much more then any other breed if you don't have a pack of them & their needs are being met.

The dog cannot wander off if it is being kept under control. If they allow their dog to wander around the estate then I would suggest that no dog is suitable for them. The show type Beagles make better pets then the hunting type as they are easier for a family to manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

Knine wrote: »
    Beagles are lovely friendly little dogs but have a strong hunting instinct. They are great with children but not so good for recall when you let them off the lead.

They bark & howl but not much more then any other breed if you don't have a pack of them & their needs are being met.

The dog cannot wander off if it is being kept under control. If they allow their dog to wander around the estate then I would suggest that no dog is suitable for them. The show type Beagles make better pets then the hunting type as they are easier for a family to manage.

Thank you very much for the feedback. It's very helpful.

You may have had the wrong idea. My sister and her family had a beautiful dog who received lots of TLC, for her entire life. She was in a secure garden and walked, religiously. I would say that their dog was the luckiest dog I knew and they were all heartbroken when she died recently.

Once, a few years ago, there was an electrician who was working in the house and left the front door opened. The dog slipped out, was missed immediately but not before she went for a run. She was NEVER left around the estate. She was found quickly but that's what I was thinking of when I mentioned about a beagle. Being a hunting dog, I would be worried about whether the beagle would keep running, should something similar happen.

Thanks again for the advice. Beagles seem like lovely dogs but am not convinced that it's suitable for a suburban family.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

I'll tell her to consider the show dogs, as opposed to the hunting variety. Thanks again.

Advertisement