Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career in Investment management/ Equity Analyst

Options
  • 05-02-2017 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Was wondering if anyone has a career in Fund Management/ Equity Analysis.

What skills may give you an edge to secure a job?

What advice would you give to someone looking to pursue a career in this area?

P.s. I'm obviously talking about a junior level analyst/researcher rather than someone who manages a portfolio.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Look into the CFA qualification

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The_Pete_Fella

your options in Ireland are very limited(at the min). there are very few asset management firms running their research departments out of Dublin and most PM roles are more of client service role with portfolio re-balancing. also most would be multi national firms with small footprints in Ireland (5 or 6 employees) mainly for a client service team in the EMEA time zones and also to gain a European passport to distribute the product through the EEA.

on the flip side there are a ridicules amount of operational jobs in the country which will give you an understanding of how a buy side firm actually works, and also industry experience.

as said above if pm/research analyst is your desired job path then a professional degree i.e. the CFA is the way to go.

one tip from me though is to utalise recruiters, that is how I got in. I did have an abundance of experience on the operational side of the industry and was employed so i could bide my time though. I went to every recruiter in town and told them I wanted to work for a buy side asset manager and only to come back if or when they had it. it did pay off though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Kilkenny93

Thanks for the advice.

I'm a finance graduate, which I'm hoping will stand to me when I apply. I'm hoping to get in at a graduate level.

How long were you waiting until you heard back from the recruiter. Also, am I better off having passed at least CFA level 1 before even bothering to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The_Pete_Fella

no link in with recruiters now. you never know your luck. I had my first interview after two weeks of first touching base with recruiters, it took three interviews over two months for them to decide and i started 4 weeks after that.
    most places won't expect you to have the CFA especially being straight out of college but they will expect you to get it and most will also pay for it.
    another place to look would be the davy grad programme: 2 year rotation will give you great foot in the door and having Davy on your CV will always stand to you in this country. trust me on that one. ;)
    a quick google and it seems to be open now...
    davy.ie/careers/graduates/apply.html

Advertisement