Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical condition

Options
  • 05-02-2017 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

If I get a letter from a doctor stating that I am fit to drive for ten years, do I have to reveal the actual medical condition to the insurance company, or can I keep it confidential?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Can, or will, any doctor commit to anybody being fit to drive for ten years, as opposed to being currently fit to drive?

As to the medical condition, if it doesn't affect the ability to drive then why does the insurer need to be told about it?

The premise confuses me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

jomu wrote: »
    If I get a letter from a doctor stating that I am fit to drive for ten years, do I have to reveal the actual medical condition to the insurance company, or can I keep it confidential?

You will be asked "do you have any physical or medical conditions that may effect your ability to drive"

You must answer that truthfully.

Things like MS, Parkinson's, diabetes, Alzheimer's need to be declared.

If its something like angina for example then it doesn't.

Failure to disclose something could potentially lead to a claim being declined.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

You disclose condition to ndls, they'll relay with RSA and u may need to get 101 code added to your licence.

When asked if you have medical condition that has been notified to licence dept then all okZ just declare the expiry date to licence and disclose if any mods to car needed.

Insurance companies don't load your policy due to a Med condition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

The working principle is that insurance contracts are written uberrima fides [utmost good faith].

Apart from the specifics set out by Rod Munch there is an over-arching obligation on anyone proposing for insurance to disclose material facts. A material fact is one that might influence the mind of a prudent insurance underwriter in deciding whether or not to accept a risk proposed for insurance and, if so, upon what terms and conditions.

It is never the right of the proposer to decide what constitutes a material fact and therefore whether to disclose it or not. What constitutes a material fact is the decision of the underwriter.

The exact same principle also revives when a policy is being renewed i.e. the duty to disclose revives at renewal.

The fact that a doctor has signed the driving licence medical form for the 10 year licence does not override the contractual obligation of disclosure. [P.S. The same applies if it is a letter as distinct from the driving licence medical form]

The correct thing to do is to make the relevant disclosure to the insurer. BTW it may also be a RTA 1961 offence to fail to disclose - much will turn on the facts. If you disclose and it is not material to the insurers you have discharged your obligation and have no worries.

Advertisement