Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will a true survival horror game ever be made ?

Options
  • 05-02-2017 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

im talking about a game with a redermentory gui . more realistic that way ;p. eat sleep and drink thresholds. carryweight . open world map . incredibly difficult . no hand holding ! thats my idea of actual survival horror basically anything that can simulate what it would actually be like to be in that situation. Theres nothing more magical and horrible than getting lost in a woods with something trying to eat your face and you used up your hand gun amno and can barely walk due to exhaustion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

By far the best survival game I've played is The Long Dark. It's on consoles and steam. You should go get it. They update it every month. It's singleplayer only. There isn't much horror.....but there are wolves and bears trying to make you lunch. And there is a pretty cool mode where a relentless bear continues to track you everywhere you go while you run from it.

There's nothing quite like being lost, in a snowstorm while freezing and starving to deaths, pitch black and all you hear behind you is a roar. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

im talking about a game with a redermentory gui . more realistic that way ;p. eat sleep and drink thresholds. carryweight . open world map . incredibly difficult . no hand holding ! thats my idea of actual survival horror basically anything that can simulate what it would actually be like to be in that situation. Theres nothing more magical and horrible than getting lost in a woods with something trying to eat your face and you used up your hand gun amno and can barely walk due to exhaustion.

Sounds too me like the forest would be perfect for you if you haven't played it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

From what i've heard, RE7 in VR is the closest one will get to "true survival horror", hearing that people are only able for a small bit at a time, and that's it's way more immersive than playing it like normal. So i'd imagine it's only a matter of time before someone creates a heart monitor device that plays into the games in VR...

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Omikron1

From what i've heard, RE7 in VR is the closest one will get to "true survival horror", hearing that people are only able for a small bit at a time, and that's it's way more immersive than playing it like normal. So i'd imagine it's only a matter of time before someone creates a heart monitor device that plays into the games in VR...

I really enjoyed RE7 (normal version, not VR), I thought they did a great job of it and it was a good decision to change from the action route they were going with 5 and 6. I think there was a little too much time spent in caves with the black monsters rather than with the creepy as f*ck (brilliantly designed) family where I found the best parts of the game, but still very good game. However, in terms of 'closest one will get to "true survival horror"', I don't think so, definitely not in terms of what the OP was looking for. By mid-game it became too easy, I felt so overpowered with flamethrowers and grenade launchers it lost a lot of it's actual scariness.

Now the early couple of hours with no weapon at all or just the handgun that only tickled the main enemies....now that was good :D I can only imagine what that part would be like in VR....I've dreamed of playing Alien Isolation in VR for a while....

For the OP, Sephiroth_dude mentioned The Forest, which I'm playing at the minute as well. It would probably be a good fit. Maybe a little too easy once you get yourself sorted out, but going into the caves is a good way of filling the underpants :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Lone Survivor?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Fighting leprechaun 20

Sounds too me like the forest would be perfect for you if you haven't played it already.

The forest is to easy :/

Advertisement