Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fridge freezing food

Options
  • 05-02-2017 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, I'm having a problem with a Hotpoint fridge freezer (model RFAA52S).

Food in the fridge was freezing and the compressor was running all the time. A mate in the commercial refrigeration business told me it was the thermostat. The fridge isn't a high tech unit and has a mechanical thermostat, so he said it's all it could be. I ordered a new one and he came to fit it yesterday. When he looked at the fridge, he confirmed that the stat was not doing it's job.

When he installed the stat, the fridge was still running continuously. He says that the new stat is also faulty. Is this likely? Have I just been unlucky?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Rarely have I come accross a stat that wont cut out, (common enough not cutting in) would be almost 100% sure your fridge has a refrigerant leak. What you have described is quite common when it looses r/ gas it just runs and runs and it will build up a lump of ice on the back wall. This is the end of the unit as the leak is always internal. By all means let him fit a new stat but if the problem remains get him fit a guage on the suction line it then wont take long to find out whats wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Thanks for that. Effin fridge is only 3 years old. Ah well, time to go fridge shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Hotpoint appliances carry a 5 year warranty

Hotpoint appliances carry a 5 year warranty
    Not according to the DID website. It quotes 1 year on this fridge freezer. I see some sites are offering 10 year parts warranty on Hotpoint stuff.

I wonder how they would deal with a fridge that has developed an internal gas leak?

I have the new one in the kitchen now, so it's all academic I suppose. :D
    5 year parts, callout fee, labour and food loss up to €150 guarantee included.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, Hotpoint/Indesit stuff have a 5 year parts warranty, 1st year labour. That was recently changed to 10 year parts upon registration. Hoover/Candy have done similar.

Honestly not sure how they deal with a gas leak.

What brand appliance did you go with in the end? I'm assuming you bought a Brightside extended warranty or something if food loss is covered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

Our hotpoint American fridge freezer was doing the same...freezing food. We defrosted it for 24 hrs & hoovered the grill bit underneath (was covered in dust) & it's been fine since

byte wrote: »
    Yeah, Hotpoint/Indesit stuff have a 5 year parts warranty, 1st year labour. That was recently changed to 10 year parts upon registration. Hoover/Candy have done similar.

Honestly not sure how they deal with a gas leak.

What brand appliance did you go with in the end? I'm assuming you bought a Brightside extended warranty or something if food loss is covered?
    Yeah the Brightside warranty was offered and I bought it. I have never been tempted by extended warranty before, but this one seems worthwhile.

I bought a Hoover, so basically the same again. It had to fit a hole and that restricted choice a fair bit. Availability was one major decider. A local shop had stock while the bigger chains were quoting 5 working days for delivery, and a hefty delivery charge!

Advertisement