Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Think dog has fleas, need advice.

Options
  • 05-02-2017 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I've just copped my dog has fleas. He's 4 now and it's his first time having them. I'm a bit freaked out because he's a spoilt rotten house dog.:eek:
    My problem is it's Sunday and I can't find a vets open. Apparently the shop bought stuff is no good?
    Can anyone advise me? Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Get a spot-on flea treatment from the chemist or the petshop. As long as it has fipronil in it, it's good. Brands include Parex, Effipro, Frontline, Eliminall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

If you can't get that today, take him outside and comb out fleas, there's probably very few on him. Then get the treatment tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Try MaxiZoo if there's one near you - they sell Drontal so I'd assume would have a good make flea treatment as well - or at least one with the right stuff in it? They have it in a locked case at the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Also, wash all his beds, blankets etc on a 90 degree cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Guys, thanks a million. I got stuff in Maxi Zoo, a wash and stuff to put on his skin when he was dry. I've washed all his bedding and cushions and got powder stuff and did mats, stairs carpet and his fave chill out spots just in case. It's been a busy day. Poor fella was all freaked out, he hates the bath and couldn't make out why he was getting no snuggles, why he wasn't allowed out of the kitchen and most importantly why his cushions weren't in front of the stove after his bath. He's exhausted from it all!
    I never considered the chemist as an option. I'm only hoping the stuff I got works. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Hoover the house regularly as well. http://www.livescience.com/2156-study-vacuums-kill-fleas.html

I'm sure you do already, not nagging you about housework or anything!

Thanks for that Latatian, very interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Recently at the vet, they told me that this year they are seeing a lot more flea infestations - due to the warmer weather 8-( I didnt used to flea-treat my cat all year around, but vet found a flea on her when she was being vaccinated, so they recommend year round flea treatments :( (I only flea-treat the cat, as none of the dogs ever got fleas)

Makes sense Aonb. We've had some very mild days. I haven't put the stuff on the back of my fellas neck since the summer, the receptionist at the vets said you don't need to after summer until April or May so for the first time, I didn't do it since the summer. I suppose I'll be doing it every few months regardless now.

Advertisement