Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethiopia About Imprison First Ever Athletics Drug Cheat

Options
  • 04-02-2017 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Not usually one for going mad with doping threads as it seems to be pretty much 95% of the athletics talk these days but this is a big one.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/athletics/haile-gebrselassie-ethiopia-doping-jail-russia-return-ban-a7561706.html

The 22 year old Girmay Birahun will face a minimum of 3 years in jail for testing postive for Meldonium(the same substance Maria Sharapova and Aregawi tested positive for last year).

What are people's thoughts on this? Good policy or draconian policy. I must admit, I'm usually a fan of no tolerance policies on doping such as lifetime bans as deterrents rather than punishments like lifetime bans which Ethiopia has also implemented but I'm not sure that this sits well with me.

Advertisement