Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gpu+cpu upgrade budget 500e

Options
  • 04-02-2017 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

So its been long time since i upgraded my gpu and also need decent cpu,but since all parts bought separetely at different times its hard to signify getting best cpu gpu and other components when all parts nowadays cost in hundreds,so saving till march and budget would be around 500e+ to get both parts,what im looking from cpu is that it would be well able to hold OC,and grahpics card that would have no issues with any latest releases at least at full hd hi res settings.

So current system
    MB:MSI gaming 7 socket 1150
    CPU-G3258 3.2 running on 3.8
    ram ddr3 8gb 1333mhz hyperx
    gpu-nvidia 560ti
    psu 750w.
    ssd storage

To be fair system is atm still enough to play games like rocket league,eve online,cs go without troubles,thus if theres some price decrease in future might hold off,since dont want to get just cheaper alternative which will be outdated in a less then half year,since seems socket 1150 is somewhat very limited in choices for cpu's when cost comes into play.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'd upgrade the CPU with a Xeon 1231v3 (instead of i5-4690k); threads > clockspeed.

And upgrade the GPU with AMD RX470 4Gb or RX480 8Gb.

=====

An i5-4460 or i5-4690 (non-K) would free up budget for R9 Fury, which would best RX480/GTX1060.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I personally would go with the Xeon and RX480 8GB and call it a day. Massive upgrade on both CPU and GPU, All the latest 2016/17 AAA titles will run at 1080p ultra quite well and the xeon should last 5 years and beyond without any issues.

G3258 and GTX560Ti together should get you back around €80.

This is assuming that you're actually playing the latest and greatest. If you're actually only playing Rocket League, CS GO, etc primarily with only a passing interest in newer games, an upgrade to an i3-4160 and GTX1050ti 4GB is around €270 and also a massive upgrade (will still play all the latest games at 1080p high settings perfectly).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

hell not sure how i missed xeon support for that socket,8mb for 4 cores seems well worth it,and boost to 3.8 seems still gonna hold for quite few years.not decided on gpu since usually go with nvidia,and 1060 seems a bit steep at close to 300 for 6gb memory.But none the less thx for pointing out cpu :) .

Advertisement