Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for some feedback on KNX please

Options
  • 04-02-2017 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.knx.org/knx-en/knx/association/introduction/index.php

Am meeting a company next week who has asked me to bid for some energy related work projects: they would be industrial energy surveys.

They are on the list of KNX partners in Ireland so trying to learn something about it, in layman's terms.
    My guess is that they install KNX based hardware and software for their energy monitoring processes.

Is it widely used in Ireland?
    If so what are its main applications: big industrial or SME?
    Is it an open or proprietary standard?
    my guess is that it is proprietary, subject to licensing.
    If I am right, is it an annual licence or a once off fee?

Anybody use it? is it a dog to install/use/maintain/upgrade/etc?

All input welcome on the subject

Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭LeBash

KNX is an open protocol system with around 200 manufacturers producing hardware and or software. It's quite a simple bus system.

There is a training course that's 1 week long to get the basic cert. From there you can buy ETS which is the software used to program knx systems. From there you can move on to advanced course but if you use the software regularly all but the most complex programs shouldn't be a problem, most of the advanced is ip and interface related as far as I know.

KNX is used in domestic right up to large industry and commercial.

If knx can't do something directly, there is a gateway to allow the information for reaction on the bus. Eg DALI gateways, gateways for power monitoring etc

Advertisement