Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport Renewal

Options
  • 04-02-2017 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I need to renew my Irish passport. Was in the passport office in London and they gave me the form to fill out and said to get my pics done and get them signed.
    Now here is the issue, they have a list of people that could sign it, doctor or dentist or judge or pilot or....well you get the idea. However I don't know anyoneon the list I could ask.

He then suggested finding a police station in an Irish neighbourhood and trying to find a policeman with an Irish surname and asking them to sign it as he reckoned an English policeman would not sign it!?

So does anyone have any idea who in London would sign passport pics for me? Ha anyone here had to go through this before, what did you do?

Thanks

frAg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

There should be a few previous threads with recent enough information. I last had to do it back in 2010 and my local police station wouldn't do it for me. Ended up going to the post office around the corner from the embassy where the post master was known for sorting people out. I have a feeling I read here that they don't provide that service any more.

Someone else should be able to provide you with more recent info or do a quick search to see when it was last discussed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

In the consulate office they can do it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Dave0301

S.M.B. wrote: »
    There should be a few previous threads with recent enough information. I last had to do it back in 2010 and my local police station wouldn't do it for me. Ended up going to the post office around the corner from the embassy where the post master was known for sorting people out. I have a feeling I read here that they don't provide that service any more.

Someone else should be able to provide you with more recent info or do a quick search to see when it was last discussed here.

The postmaster signed my photos when I got mine renewed, and that was 2015 so might still be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Thanks all for your repies. A girl who was on a course I did last year got in touch as I also posted on my FB, she is a solicitor and will happily sign the pics for me!

Thanks again folks,

frAg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Bear in mind that the number of weeks they tell you it'll take to process does not include up to two weeks for them to actually send it to Dublin... I dropped my application into the office in person on 9th January but my application didn't show up on the system until 17th January. In the time it took for them to register it the application turnaround time had increased from six weeks to seven weeks, meaning that my passport won't be ready until 7th March (and then they still have to post it to London of course).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I got mine done in the Police station in Romford. She was a little hesitant to begin with as it's not something they usually do but I had my expiring/expired passport with me so she was happy I was you I said I was and duly obliged. I was actually back in there a week or two ago to get proofs of address signed for prize bonds change of address form - the police man signed it for me without a seconds hesitation.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I got the local priest (in Archway) to sign my forms. It did involve a bit of a "donation".

My son still only has his British one because I just can't be arsed with the hassle of getting an Irish one right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

If someone does try a police station, the thing to point out to them is that they're not signing to say they know you and you're lovely, they're signing to say the picture looks like you - you haven't photoshopped it, or you're not wearing a wig or disguising yourself.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Scarinae wrote: »
    Bear in mind that the number of weeks they tell you it'll take to process does not include up to two weeks for them to actually send it to Dublin... I dropped my application into the office in person on 9th January but my application didn't show up on the system until 17th January. In the time it took for them to register it the application turnaround time had increased from six weeks to seven weeks, meaning that my passport won't be ready until 7th March (and then they still have to post it to London of course).

So I received my passport in the post today! The data page says it was issued on 14th February - this was totally unexpected though and they'd told me I couldn't speed up my application, so I wouldn't bank on this happening if you're applying for a passport

Advertisement