Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paris - hints and ideas

Options
  • 03-02-2017 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Heading to Paris with the OH next month. We've both been before, but it's been over 10 years since either of us last visited. Obviously planning on the usual spots, Arc De Triomphe, Eiffel Tower, Montmatre/Sacre Coeur etc, but is there anywhere else that you think is worth a visit?

Also, quite keen to visit Pere Lachaise cemetery but this is definitely a tube ride as opposed to a walk. Does anybody know if it's a direct tube or do we need to change? Staying about 10 minutes off the Champs Elysees so it will be whatever tube is nearest to there.

Also any recommendations for any nice restaurants? Nothing fancy (5 *) etc, just cheap and cheerful is fine :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭tkd93

To get to the cemetery you take metro line two. This line has a stop right beside the Arc de Triomphe so would make sense to fit two in one day. Pretty close to where you will be staying.

I really like Musée de l'Armée. This is the french military history museum give it a google well worth a few hours but get the audio guide.

Food wise i have two places:

1.Le comptoir du Pantheon. Place about 100 metres from the front of the pantheon it is well known for salads but does full mains had a beautiful steak there for a about 20 quid.

2. Cafe Saint Regis 2 minutes from rear of Notre Dam. Similar reasonable prices beautiful food think a salmon main cost me about 17 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Thanks for all the info tkd93. Much appreciated :) Just one more thing. Do you know how long it takes to get to the graveyard?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

The courtyard of the mosque is worth a visit
    Beautiful garden with birds flying around taking cakes from your hand. It's also quite ornate and not your typical Paris building.

The pantheon is also worth a visit. As is Shakespeare and Co for a browse.

TBH though, you're in Paris with your loved one.
    Stroll around, get lost and just enjoy the city

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

The catacombs. Amazing. Not for the easily spooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭tkd93

20 minutes as a rough guess.

I felt the catacombs were over rated. If your gonna go for the love of god buy a skip the que ticket. I arrived before they opened in September and had a two hour wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Book a dinner cruise along the Seine at night with Le Calife. The boat passes by the Eiffel Tower at 10pm just in time for the wonderful light show...it is fabulous and the food is great too.
    As for a restaurant, I'd highly recommend Verjus which is located quite near the Louvre. It isn't too expensive but for €69 you get to experience a fabulous 7 course tasting menu in a typically cozy Parisienne setting. It is a wonderful experience to try out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Any tips for avoiding queues? Can you pre-book the Eiffel Tower and The Louvre?

Advertisement