Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College help UCD VS Nuig vs Dcu

Options
  • 03-02-2017 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I've engineering down as first choice and want to know what the nightlife is like in each college and which would be best in turns of social life , I've ucd down first and want to know what the nightlife is like and what are the good nightclubs ? Or is nuig better ? No replys about social life having nothing to do with college choice ,

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

I've engineering down as first choice and want to know what the nightlife is like in each college and which would be best in turns of social life , I've ucd down first and want to know what the nightlife is like and what are the good nightclubs ? Or is nuig better ? No replys about social life having nothing to do with college choice ,

Thanks

These *sort* of questions crop up a lot: comparing one university to another. It makes sense - big decision. But you'll almost never get an answer. I've no idea what NUIG's or DCU's nightlife is like. You'll have to hope that you get someone who did a course in one, and then did another (like a postgrad) in another, or swapped course: and even that mightn't tell you much because social life can be radically different from one degree to another, let alone universities! I think the only useful information you could find to that end is looking at the geography of where the universities lie... what sort of accommodation is available close to them... transport or proximity to city centre, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Sn@kebite

Realistically a degree should be chosen on the interest you will have in the modules/course. The nightlife etc.. is a separate thing. Being in a college that you don't like the modules but love the nightlife is not going to be good at all. Whereas being in a degree where you love the degree but the nightlife is dead is still probably going to be a better experience.

College is very difficult you will need to love your degree first and foremost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Thanks

It's all what you make of it TBH. Basically boils down to whether you'd prefer Dublin or Galway.
    Personally I'd choose Galway, just because cost of living is cheaper, so you've more money to go out on, unless you already live in Dublin, in which case I'd stay put.

BTW I did engineering and you'll be hard pressed to have a decent social life if you're aiming for decent grades :) Make the most of it!. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

eeguy wrote: »
    BTW I did engineering and you'll be hard pressed to have a decent social life if you're aiming for decent grades :) Make the most of it!. Best of luck!

This. Engineering is a hard graft. We partied the hardest but we earned it and it was often surpassed by course work.

You can't compare colleges. Galway is cheaper to live in, but it rains 350 days of the year. All the Dublin colleges would be more expensive to attend but are so close and have the most nightlife choice that they are equal.

The question you really should be asking is what form of engineering interests you. For example, Trinity is a little more academic whist DCU (I believe) is the most hands on. UCD is somewhere in the middle of the two. UCD probably has the best labs out of the country if you are into the more practical side.

Advertisement