Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions

Options
  • 03-02-2017 6:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Ok so I'm a grown man with a family but I have an itch to get a console.im really just thinking of a bit later in the year when the family returns home for a couple of months and I'm stuck here (we're living abroad as im on foreign assignment). I can't see myself getting to play much before then , maybe racing games with the missus when kids in bed.

Thing is, I'm from the Commodore 64 and Amiga generation so I like simple good games and don't need life like graphics that you get Witth the Xbox one s and ps4 pro. Plus I don't want to pay silly money for something that'll gather dust most of the time.

So I have a conundrum, should I pay half the price for a 360 say or would it be better to get an Xbox one and future proof. What I'm wondering is will the Xbox 360 be redundant very soon and be obsolete for new games? Would the Xbox one s still be relevant in say 4 or 5 years time for when my little fella (now 4) might start taking an interest (as part of a balanced set of interests of course).

Money is not really the issue if I thought it would be a long term investment.

Just looking for opinions....thanks....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You cant really future proof with consoles so I would try to dissaude you from that thought proccess. Most generations dont last very long any more before a successor comes along. For example the gap between WiiU and Switch was just over 4 years. The gap between Xbox One and Scorpio will be about 4 years also. Still, most people view that as enough time.

New games only come out on new consoles. Anything that releases this year, will be on the Xbox One, PS4, or the new Nintendo Switch. The 360 and ps3 wont see many new games ported.

That being said, you can pick up a second hand 360 or ps3 for really short money and they both have brilliant libraries. You could google "top 20 games for ps3" and just start there. You would likely have tons of fun.

But as I said anything new will only be on the newer consoles. If it was me? I'd pick a ps4 pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I'd go with an Xbox one as they can be got for quite cheap now (over here at least via amazon, game.co.uk etc) and then you have the bonus of backwards compatibility which isnt every game yet but is growing and already has some of the best xbox 360 games available on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you have an OK laptop or PC how about checking out steam. There's loads on new indie games that are quite simple or older games that will run on modest or even bottom range machines.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Might as well get a One S if you're getting one. There's been some decent offers on them and not really worked out much more expensive then the regular One.

Also, since you say you like racing games it might be worth signing up to Xbox Live now before you get the console as Project Cars is one of the free games this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

As you mentioned working abroad.i would imagine you do a bit of travelling,if i was in your shoes id get the Nintendo Switch,due to it being a console but also a handheld.. its not super expensive and i imagine playing Mario Cart 8 with missus will be a laugh..also you have Zelda and the new Mario game coming out..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

definitely try some games on Steam
    use this site to see if your PC/laptop can run it as I suspect you wouldn't have a dedicated graphics card so aim for older games or there are even great free to play games
    This site will find you the cheapest sites where to buy games you are interested in for Steam

You can pick up an older XBox 360 or PS3 for cheap these days and places like Gamestop or CEX sell AAA games for peanuts now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Do not buy an Xbox 360.

You will be pissed when the damn thing breaks at the worst time (i.e. 1 month into your assignment).

Agree with retrogamer, get yourself a decent little laptop or build a portable mini-ITX machine (e.g. like this)

bigphil2 wrote: »
    As you mentioned working abroad.i would imagine you do a bit of travelling,if i was in your shoes id get the Nintendo Switch,due to it being a console but also a handheld.. its not super expensive and i imagine playing Mario Cart 8 with missus will be a laugh..also you have Zelda and the new Mario game coming out..

Switch is expensive.
    €300 console, €60 games, €70-80 controllers + €30 for a decent microSDXC card (64Gb, 90mb/s write/200mb/s read)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Kirby wrote: »
    Most generations dont last very long any more before a successor comes along. For example the gap between WiiU and Switch was just over 4 years. The gap between Xbox One and Scorpio will be about 4 years also. Still, most people view that as enough time.

Tbf, the reason the gap between the WiiU and the Switch is only 4 years is that the WiiU was such a disaster and Project Scorpio is Xbox scrambling to win back some of the people they lost to the PS4.

Personally, I bought a PS3 a year before the PS4 came out and while I love the console and it was great to take advantage of getting all the top games for it at dirt cheap prices, I'll be buying the PS4 Pro in the next couple of months as I want to get my hands on the likes of Uncharted 4, Gravity Rush 2, Bloodborne and Witcher 3.

Tbf, the reason the gap between the WiiU and the Switch is only 4 years is that the WiiU was such a disaster and Project Scorpio is Xbox scrambling to win back some of the people they lost to the PS4.

Personally, I bought a PS3 a year before the PS4 came out and while I love the console and it was great to take advantage of getting all the top games for it at dirt cheap prices, I'll be buying the PS4 Pro in the next couple of months as I want to get my hands on the likes of Uncharted 4, Gravity Rush 2, Bloodborne and Witcher 3.
    Witcher 3 didn't receive any optimisation on PS4 Pro, it still runs like dogpoo (30fps or lower).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Thanks for the opinions so far. I think I'll drop the 360 idea. What I didn't mention is that I actually have a 360 back home which didn't get much use....should have packed it up for shipping over when I came first!!!

I prices up a few options here. They have the one 500gb with 5 games including pes 15 and forza 6 for the equivalent of about 300 euro....or I could get the one s for about 12 euro more but just with Fifa 17. I'm edging towards the one s at the moment as seems to be not too bad value...there only a hand full of games I'm interested in and seems like a decent entertainment hub. Ps4 and ps4 pro seem a lot dearer with the pro about 100 euro more but in 1tb. Memory doesn't bother me as the guy said you can externally expand the memory with the one s.

What do u guys recommend based on what I've priced above? My gut is telling me to go with the one s for future proofing....I was amazed to see that the 360 has been around for over 10 years so I'd be surprised if the one s isn't still relevant in say 5 years....

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Witcher 3 didn't receive any optimisation on PS4 Pro, it still runs like dogpoo (30fps or lower).

Solid 30fps for me on PS Pro,saying that,i restarted the game when i got my Pro so only played about 6 hours due to backlogue,so maybe frame drops in the larger cities and the Bog area?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

30 fps acceptable nowadays? holy hell I cant play anything below 144fps on 144hz screen.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

I wasn't getting it for optimisation on PS4 Pro, more that I want to get the chance to play it when I've upgraded from the PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Dcully wrote: »
    30 fps acceptable nowadays? holy hell I cant play anything below 144fps on 144hz screen.

don't poke the Console Bears ;)

Good for you!

I can't play anything without being fanned and massaged by Filipino slaves…

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Solid 30fps for me on PS Pro,saying that,i restarted the game when i got my Pro so only played about 6 hours due to backlogue,so maybe frame drops in the larger cities and the Bog area?

Wow a solid 30fps instead of an unsteady mid 20's, what a time to be alive.

I'd say get a cheap PC op, can go for about €450 for a tidy little machine that'll beat the pants off a PS4 or XBOX, games are far cheaper too.

If you're in the States it's cheaper again to get a PC, you've the freedom to go cheaper if you won't be playing graphically heavy games too.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Thanks for the opinions so far. I think I'll drop the 360 idea. What I didn't mention is that I actually have a 360 back home which didn't get much use....should have packed it up for shipping over when I came first!!!

I prices up a few options here. They have the one 500gb with 5 games including pes 15 and forza 6 for the equivalent of about 300 euro....or I could get the one s for about 12 euro more but just with Fifa 17. I'm edging towards the one s at the moment as seems to be not too bad value...there only a hand full of games I'm interested in and seems like a decent entertainment hub. Ps4 and ps4 pro seem a lot dearer with the pro about 100 euro more but in 1tb. Memory doesn't bother me as the guy said you can externally expand the memory with the one s.

What do u guys recommend based on what I've priced above? My gut is telling me to go with the one s for future proofing....I was amazed to see that the 360 has been around for over 10 years so I'd be surprised if the one s isn't still relevant in say 5 years....

One S will be worth it if you plan on upgrading to a 4k TV at some stage, otherwise the regular xbox one with 5 games doesn't sound like a bad deal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was amazed to see that the 360 has been around for over 10 years so I'd be surprised if the one s isn't still relevant in say 5 years....

Last gen was the exception rather than the rule. Most console generations are 4 to 6 years. They are trying to extend this gen with mid gen refreshes like the Scorpio and pro but I'm pretty sure they aren't going to help considering Sony is very candid about ps4 pro sales meaning it's selling like ****. Still there's about 3 years at least left in this gen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

You will struggle get a laptop for 300 quid that will run games as good as a One or PS4. You can get them now for 300 with a game. One is backwards compatible which let's you play Red Dead, Mass Effect trilogy and other games.
    Games are dropping price so fast now on those systems too now compared to even last year so the majority of games aren't 60 euro for long.

Sorry, but you're wrong
    Drops are still felt, and the graph hits 28fps at points - sometimes lower. But it's fair to say it's a step forward, and a much smoother gameplay experience overall in what were previously troublespots. As one of the worst case scenarios, Crookback Bog doesn't fairly represent frame-rates across the breadth of the game. Nevertheless, for the missions that include it, we're looking at a far more stable read-out.
    ERG89 wrote: »
    You will struggle get a laptop for 300 quid that will run games as good as a One or PS4. You can get them now for 300 with a game. One is backwards compatible which let's you play Red Dead, Mass Effect trilogy and other games.
    Games are dropping price so fast now on those systems too now compared to even last year so the majority of games aren't 60 euro for long.
    That's disingenious IMHO, you're comparing a laptop (which includes a built-in screen & keyboard, and is thermally limited due to design) to a console.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

But the op asked about a console!

sweetie wrote: »
    But the op asked about a console!

Also asked about future-proofing - and tbh, no console is ever future-proof (last gen just lasted forever).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

PC snob!

PC does come with a very wide range of games that don't really make it to consoles. Many console games (well populist games) these days seem very action packed, the likes of COD just seems like nonstop action with little else.

If you're looking for something slower paced the PC has more options. You might even be able to convince work you need a PC for homework.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Thread has drifted way off topic from the OP's original question, he never asked anything about PCs in his original post or indeed follow-up one. Please stick to topic, thanks!

Mod note: Thread has drifted way off topic from the OP's original question, he never asked anything about PCs in his original post or indeed follow-up one. Please stick to topic, thanks!

Thanks for stepping in mods....yep, looking for reassurance in the one s folks...but thanks to all for the contributions....what are the main differences between the one and one s...apart from the obvious 4K capability.....am nearly sure I'll go one s....is it a good entertainment hub?

And is there any reason to pay a premium for a ps4 pro?

Thanks for stepping in mods....yep, looking for reassurance in the one s folks...but thanks to all for the contributions....what are the main differences between the one and one s...apart from the obvious 4K capability.....am nearly sure I'll go one s....is it a good entertainment hub?
    And is there any reason to pay a premium for a ps4 pro?
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-microsoft-xbox-one-s-review
    Xbone S is smaller, internal powerbrick, slightly louder, runs 7% faster (so barely noticeable).
    Few (if any) games run at 4k.
    Other than that they are the same.

PS4 Pro is a much faster machine than original PS4, but not all games take advantage of its extra processing power.

OP post asked "would it be better to get an Xbox one and future proof?"

Neither the PS4 nor Xbone are future proof IMHO, and represent bad value once you factor in the €50/year just to play online (i.e. an extra €200 over 4 years).
    Also upgrading HDDs on them is a bollix as IIRC you have to redownload all your games to the new drive.

• Advertisement

Well the One S will only play video at 4K. No hope in it running games in 4K. I'd go with the S if you get a XBox, it's about the same price as a One but you get some small performance increases but most of all it's a nice small compact console whereas the One is a fat ugly looking yoke.

At the moment there is very little to recommend a PS4 Pro over a PS4. If sales are as bad a Sony's silence on sales figures of the Pro suggest it may even get discontinued or see limited support in the future. If you have a 4K TV it might be worth it, but if you don't a PS4 is fine, all PS4 games now and in the future will run on PS4 and PS4 pro, just some will have performance gains on the Pro (like 4K support or 60 fps instead of 30 in HD).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement