Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Routes to nursing/healthcare without leaving cert? (Need help helping a lovely friend

Options
  • 03-02-2017 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello everyone. I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance? 

I have a friend who is lovely specimen of a human, beautiful inside and out. She failed English and Maths in her leaving cert, back in 2008. After hopping between menial jobs since then she is now stuck abroad doing TEFL teaching. Having failed her leaving cert she has this awful sense of inadequacy and failure. She is such a great person and i want her to be happy. It would make me so happy to see have a decent job and a career.

So i'm wondering, what are her options? I know there definitely must be some. Is her leaving cert worth anything with those failed subjects? Should i look for some lvl 5 courses and then recommend she work up through lvl 6 and 7 until achieving undergrad level?
    She's an intelligent woman, I don't think she'd have any problems. It seems she only failed because she had low self esteem and gets frazzled/overwhelmed quite easily. 

I'm very close to her and i know that if I suggest something to her and talk about it, she will listen. That being said, when I do have that conversation, I'd like to have things well planned out for her so she could see a clear path to what she wants.

Thank you so much for any replies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

There are QQI level 5 Nursing courses that can lead to direct college entry. Failing maths and english in the LC would prevent college entry; although your friend could repeat both exams, and reapply to college with her original LC points haul.

While your intentions seem very genuine, your friend would have to realise that s/he'd need to be dedicated in order to get the grades required for college entry (typically 5 distinctions out of 8 modules). There are a lot of options, but with regards college she'd have to be in a situation where she could spend the next 5 years in full time education. This is something she'd have to want, not you to want for her. Nursing is an intense, high pressure job and might not be suited to someone who is easily overwhelmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Unless requirements have changed she should be able to get into nursing with a fetac 6 as a mature student (23 +) without a leaving certificate. IT'S and Universities are becoming much stricter in their application process in regards to entry requirements so she would want to get on this soon.

Although if she's easily frazzled nursing might not be the job for her as it's extremely stressful, exhausting physically, emotionally and mentally with long hours and it's very underpaid. Id really think about it before committing 5/6+ years to education.

Advertisement