Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Handtruck

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

For the money you can't go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Odelay

http://www.diy.com/departments/mac-allister-upright-hand-truck-max-weight-200kg/312036_BQ.prd

I got a B&Q one similar to this. Large pneumatic wheels make it easy to pull over rough surface and up steps.
    The solid wheels on the aldi one look too small and would make it difficult to move stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

Got one about 3 years ago, have moved 40 kg bags of coal, compost bales and even a fridge freezer, cooker etc etc and still going strong. The footplate is a tiny bit wobbly but nothing serious and for all the use its got I cant complain. Its the very same model too. Well worth it, I keep it in the garage so it hasn't rusted either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

As someone that has used many of these both are crap for daily use.For mediocre use they are fine, Same problem with both,wheels or bearings go and with the ALDI one it just folds over time..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭wiz569

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

degsie wrote: »
    Was thinking of getting a handtruck and spotted this one in Aldi, anyone know if these are worth considering?

OP I had to look at the picture to see what a "hand truck" is! In my youth said item was known as a sack-car! Think we call the one we have now a trolley.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

I used to use one on my truck, then I got one of the ones, like the one from chadwicks,. No contest, the audi one is OK, but you need to put spring washers on it. The other one is the one to gomfor

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have one & it's brilliant. It folds up small & I have shifted some seriously heavy items with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

For regular use, its not great, but for irregular use its fine.

Folds up nicely, so takes up very little space

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

I got one of these a few years ago, very lightweight and small wheels, so no use on gravel or grass or such, you would have to pull it rather than push. However it folds up really neatly and is handy to throw in the car boot if you want to transport light boxes and the like. I have a "proper" one as well, it is over 40 years old and still like the day I got it, however it weighs a ton. I can't see the Aldi one being around in 40 years though. Either Aldi or Lidl had a proper type hand truck on special not so long ago, maybe they have a few left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

It really depends what you need to use it for.

If it's between the Aldi and the B&Q/Chadwicks ones above, they both have their advantages:

Aldi one:
    Folds up
    Cheaper

B&Q/Chadwicks:
    Can fit more on it
    easier to manoeuvre
    will travel across grass and gravel fine
    will go up steps easier.

The Chadwicks and B&Q ones would be much the same.

All 3 will eventually pack in for any heavy regular use. The bearings will go, the wheels will wobble and the bolts will come out of the tyres.

To get something proper, you're talking a few hundred at least....

transit-long-wheel-base2-1030x687.jpg

This is a foldable platform dolly that costs around €600 and the yellow one in the van is actually from Aldi and cost €40 :D The foldable one stands upright like the Aldi one and goes to a platform dolly in seconds. The bearings and wheels are far superior. There's no comparison really, but if you only want it for the odd lift here and there, you'll get sorted for €40 or under no problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭secman

Spend an extra €10 to €15 and get a proper one in Heiton Buckley or any of the similar builders providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,662 ✭✭✭corks finest

Was thinking of getting a handtruck and spotted this one in Aldi, anyone know if these are worth considering?

https://www.aldi.ie/workzone-aluminium-handtruck/p/093903078100200
    Have one,not great tbh,back part broke on me after 2 months,only used it 6/7 times

• Registered Users Posts: 8,662 ✭✭✭corks finest

secman wrote: »
    Spend an extra €10 to €15 and get a proper one in Heiton Buckley or any of the similar builders providers.

Good advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

https://www.aldi.ie/workzone-aluminium-handtruck/p/093903078100200

I have one of those a good few years now, but very infrequent use and left in the shed, but rust free.

When I was stacking up old paving slabs, the bottom plate is small/shallow and there's a big gap between the vertical handles so smaller heavier things can fall through the gap when you lift up the handtruck.
    I could probably have rigged something to form a better "back" on it.
    But then I probably needed a wheelbarrow rather than a handcart for that DIY job.

Fine for larger bulky items, fridges, dishwashers etc. especially if you don't want to scrape a floor when moving things around.

I agree the wheels are small for traversing steps etc.

If you've the space in your shed, it's worth the extra money to get a proper one that will do you a lifetime. But I was happy enough with something light and foldable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

As an inbetween to the ones mentioned I've got one of these for moving Pa gear which is hefty stuff and works very well still after 5 or so years.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

wiz569 wrote: »

Oh you genius.. I've been lookin for a proper one for a while and they were all twice that price..

Thanks

cormie wrote: »
    transit-long-wheel-base2-1030x687.jpg

This is a foldable platform dolly that costs around €600 and the yellow one in the van is actually from Aldi and cost €40 :D The foldable one stands upright like the Aldi one and goes to a platform dolly in seconds. The bearings and wheels are far superior. There's no comparison really, but if you only want it for the odd lift here and there, you'll get sorted for €40 or under no problem!

And as far away from the original bargain alert as you can get :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

wiz569 wrote: »
    And as far away from the original bargain alert as you can get :D

I know haha, to be fair the yellow ones from Aldi are holding up better than black ones I got a few years before and as I said, if it's not for daily use, wheeling heavy boxes and items long haul over all kinds of terrain and up steps and round corners and tight bends, into and out of lifts etc, it should last you years and years :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭skankkuvhima

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Probably, these days it's just generic Chinese stuff knocked out to whoever wants to put their brand on it.

Yep looks like it but no stores in Dublin but good bargain for people down that neck of the woods :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Just used the one in the OP to shift a tonne of coal (25 x 40Kg bags) earlier.
    If it falls apart tomorrow it'll owe me nothing for the labour it's saved.

The one I got had a foam cover on the handle that's not in the pics. Life saver not to be sticking to the handle in the cold!

Advertisement