Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Networks Ireland

Options
  • 02-02-2017 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'd appreciate some advice on this.

We have gas central heating and a fire. A few years ago, Bord Gais moved the meter to outside the house so that readings could be taken when we were not at home.

Yesterday someone named John rang my husband to tell him that the meter would be moved because it was a fire risk. It's situated in a side alley leading to a side entrance to the house and we keep the bins there. My husband told John that nothing had changed since the meter had been installed and it was not that long since the installation. John said that there had been changes to the regulations.

If they move the meter to the front of the house, where the car is parked, isn't that more of a fire hazard.

My husband asked for a notice in writing about the work but we haven't received anything.

I took a phone call today from <SNIP> of Gas Networks Ireland who told me that they didn't issue written notice of work. I asked who was paying for the work and she could not say. I asked why the work was necessary and she said that it could be because the gas main was damaged.

Has this happened to anyone else? Would really like to know if meters all over Dublin are being moved? Are there regulations about not putting meters near rubbish bins?

Grateful to hear of anyone else's experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,364 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It sounds like both calls were incoming i.e. you didn't make the call. I suggest that you ring the Gas Networks using the number on their website and ask to speak to that person you named above to make sure it's all kosher.

They changed my (outside) meter a few years ago to a smart meter and I remember that I definitely did get a letter in advance. Part of the reason was that they asked me to allow the installer to inspect my appliances. I didn't have a problem with this, he literally looked at my gas hob and took my word for it when I told him that the boiler was regularly serviced. The whole thing was pretty painless. But moving a meter is going to be a much bigger deal.

I don't buy that stuff about the meter and bins, some of my neighbours in terraced houses have their wheelie bins at the front of the house, n many cases right beside the meter which is behind a hard plastic door that would probably melt if there was a nearby fire.

Don't let anyone near that meter unless you have something from them to say that it's being done at their expense.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ring Gas Networks and check if what the guy said is true, if it is then simply request it in writing

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

These guys will be able to point you towards the regs requiring it or not:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1320

• Registered Users Posts: 4 WilburWilbur

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately that thread is closed so I can't ask them anything.

I'll see what happens tomorrow. They'll have to show ID that they are qualified/registered gas installers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Phone Gas Networks on 1850 200694 (press 1 for domestic enquiries).
    Have your GPRN number to hand (not your account number), which you will find on your bill, as this should help them get into your file quicker.
    They should then be able to tell you if there are any works pending or scheduled regarding your meter or gas supply.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I'll do that.

I rang that number and got through to a very helpful woman. She told me that they are planning to replace the pipe from the road with a new yellow plastic pipe. Doesn't know about moving the meter but will check and will also check to see if there are any safety issues due to changes in regulations.

So thank you. Was very worried for a while.

Advertisement