Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog not using dog house

Options
  • 02-02-2017 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

My dog is a 14.5 year old terrier mix. He always used his little house but now he's not and has been sitting at the other side of the garden against the hedge, even when it's raining. I've moved his house to where he's been sitting and now he's just sitting beside it and not going inside! He's only outside during the day and comes inside every evening until the following morning. It's really weird, why has he stopped using his little house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Maybe a tomcat or fox has scent marked inside it and he's not happy about that. Poor little man, he must have been miserable today with all that rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭joejoe87

Maybe a tomcat or fox has scent marked inside it and he's not happy about that. Poor little man, he must have been miserable today with all that rain!

I do have two cats and when I moved the house today one of the cats was looking inside, you might be right. I'll wash his cushions and give the inside a clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Glad he's inside at night OP, but for an elderly dog it would be kinder to allow him to be indoors during the day and especially during a very wet day.

So many things can put a dog off - a wasp/bee might have been in there , a branch might have fallen on the roof of it while he was inside - who knows with dogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Is he in good health? Poor little fella must have been miserable in the rain. Hope he's ok.

Is he in good health? Poor little fella must have been miserable in the rain. Hope he's ok.

Ya he's in perfect health and plays like a young dog, you'd never guess he was 14

• Advertisement

The routine his whole life has been to go outside at about lunch time and to come in at dinner time, he has a massive garden and wants to go out, he knows his routine. He's always used his house for naps, it's only the past few days that he's not been using the house.

Just a thought - does he have to jump up to get into his house?? Our arthritic dog could no longer climb/jump up even little steps when he was particularly stiff/sore - especially on wet/cold days...

Hes a cutie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭mistybluehills

joejoe87 wrote: »
    My dog is a 14.5 year old terrier mix. He always used his little house but now he's not and has been sitting at the other side of the garden against the hedge, even when it's raining. I've moved his house to where he's been sitting and now he's just sitting beside it and not going inside! He's only outside during the day and comes inside every evening until the following morning. It's really weird, why has he stopped using his little house?

Poor oul divil.
    Older dogs can go a bit senile, it could be that
    Very sad images him sitting in the rain

Poor oul divil.
    Older dogs can go a bit senile, it could be that
    Very sad images him sitting in the rain

It's dry where he was sitting with tree cover, it's not as depressing as it sounds

aonb wrote: »
    Just a thought - does he have to jump up to get into his house?? Our arthritic dog could no longer climb/jump up even little steps when he was particularly stiff/sore - especially on wet/cold days...

Hes a cutie :)

Not really , it's raised maybe 6 inches or less off the ground. He did go in when I told him but was reluctant to stay in there. He's fine jumping onto the bed or couch but sometimes takes a few attempts these days. I'd say it has something to do with the cats because he loved his house before.

• Advertisement

any rats about? check the undercarriage of his house to see if theres any sign of rats using it too...

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

joejoe87 wrote: »
    Ya he's in perfect health and plays like a young dog, you'd never guess he was 14

God, he's gorgeous, cute happy little fella, tell the cats to sod offer & find their own accommodation 😄

aonb wrote: »
    any rats about? check the undercarriage of his house to see if theres any sign of rats using it too...

I don't think so, the cats bring back the odd mouse or bird but never a rat. Could be foxes around and there is a stray tomcat that appears every now and then and fights my tomcats so could be him soiling the house or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭mistybluehills

Oh good.

I washed his blankets and scrubbed the house, he's using it again in its original location. Something must have scented there

Advertisement