Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nitro Athletics - 4,9 & 11 February

Options
  • 02-02-2017 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

What are people's opinions about this?
    http://athletics.com.au/News/about-nitro-athletics
    Another welcome addition to the calendar, like the World Relays?  Or a non-event like the Intercontinental Cup?
    At least, they have got Bolt on board for the inaugural event..  I like the sound of Javelin with targets, and the Elimination Mile.  They should be combined! :)
    BBC will show highlights.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

so it's "Superstars", basically?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

RayCun wrote: »
    so it's "Superstars", basically?

Nope. No squat thrusts involved!
    It's only track & field athletes and events. Albeit with a twist.

Athletics Australia are behind it and Seb has backed it. I'd say they are testing the waters with it, trying to tap into new audience and drum up some up much needed good PR for the sport. It's not for the purists though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Have to commend them for trying something new especially as the Aus Race circuit doesnt seem to generate as much international interest as it once did.

Bit more detail

http://nitroathletics.com.au/app/uploads/2017/01/Nitro-Athletics-Competition-Schedule.pdf

They are also trying to combine house hold names with up and coming local talent

Seems as though its something which Bolt really believes in as he has put a stake in the project

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1046280/bolt-takes-stake-in-nitro-athletics-and-bolt-all-stars-team

Results from the first night

C30TEuDUkAEH5Vn.jpg

Looks to have been fairly successful with a good bit of positive feedback in particular the mixed relays and the distance challenges

https://twitter.com/usainbolt/status/827878891263963137

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

It looked good, seemed like a fun night from the clips on bbc there. Highlights were heavy on the running events, hope the field events get more coverage next time. Highlight for me was the men's elimination mile, which was close and tense. Yet despite the tactics it still was won in 4:09 which seems very respectable considering the surging and slowing at the end of each lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Didn't really like it. Some washed up.athletes in it.
    Will give it one more chance.

Some washed up.athletes in it.
    Will give it one more chance.

Bit bemused by this

Bolt (current Olympic Champion)
    Jenna Prandini (2015 US 200m Champion and member of 4x100m team in Beijing)
    Genevieve LaCaze (9th in Rio)
    Ryan Gregson (9th in Rio)
    Kerron Clement (Current Olympic Champion)
    Christine Ohuruogu (medalled in last three olympics - last year in relay)
    Scott Reardon (Current Olympic Paralympic Champion)

Remember there were no African, European or US teams in this so that elminates an awful lot of top class athletes (unless they were part of Bolts All Stars)

How often do you normally see that much talent at any one non indoor meet in Feb in any year (let alone a post Olympic year) for me I think the fact that they were able to generate a good bit of positive feedback given the absence of majority of big names is a good thing for marketing the sport in general.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The commentary reminded me of TransWorldSports(?) from back in the '80's for some reason.

The mile race was entertaining, at least the mens was. Was a good idea for the race like the eliminator in cycling, but there is much less of a tow effect in running so to make the race work you need to have people who are very similar standards which I guess is what they didn't have for the womens version of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

I thought it was a good watch. I'll definitely check out the next 2 dates. Some events worked really well. Others less so but format could be refined a bit. Nice to see some new talent showcased alongside the bigger stars. A couple really rose to the occasion. Day, Ramsden... Maybe could have had a Russian team for pantomime villain effect. Or maybe not!

I say replace the AAI games snoozefest with a Celtic Nitro games. The 4 provinces plus Sonia's All-Stars!

• Advertisement

Seems to be a popular amongst the fans anyway, all three nights sold out.

Seems to be a popular amongst the fans anyway, all three nights sold out.

Is that because of Bolt or the event, we know next year when he retires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

robinph wrote: »
    T

The mile race was entertaining, at least the mens was. Was a good idea for the race like the eliminator in cycling, but there is much less of a tow effect in running so to make the race work you need to have people who are very similar standards which I guess is what they didn't have for the womens version of it.

I suppose Bolt running the mile is too much to hope for? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I'm a bit conflicted about this - surely there isn't too much wrong with athletics as it is, in terms of a television spectacle, at least up to the mile??? Having said that, I do like the idea of the elimination mile though.

I did think before of trying to do a team pursuit (1500m or 3000m) on a 200m/300m track with a few clubs: proper tactics, lead-out man, etc - could do a series. Might try and organise a trial one this summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Is that because of Bolt or the event, we know next year when he retires.

Alot of the attention might be because of Bolt right now but if an event like this this gets established and gets a lot of viewers, it has a greater chance of surviving and prospering in the future years with more top talent giving it a go. First impressions can mean a lot and good to see Bolt giving back to the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The fact that Bolt was there had absolutely no draw to me, it was the format of the races which were hugely entertaining. I hope we see more like it.

Haper-nelson banned for 3 months, so is she out of this now?

Haper-nelson banned for 3 months, so is she out of this now?

Looks like there was no hurdles on womens side this round but yes, given her ban should would be not permitted to run.

It looks like the second night didn't go as smooth with the win being won off the track rather than off it (through a subsequent correction of points following DQ of Australia in the relay)

http://pulse.com.gh/sports/athletics/usain-bolt-jamaicans-nitro-athletics-event-runs-into-controversy-id6195889.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Came across this on Saturday on TV and watched it again on Sunday. I thought it was hugely entertaining. Yer one shouting at the sidelines was the highlight for me, but overall it was great craic, good atmosphere, different, fun and competitive.

• Advertisement

There was no doubt she wanted to win it.

The mile race for me was the best part. Especially on the last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

A bit gimmicky but so what? The (football) World Cup was considered a gimmick in the beginning. Can't see it doing any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Murph_D wrote: »
    A bit gimmicky but so what? The (football) World Cup was considered a gimmick in the beginning. Can't see it doing any harm.

Plenty of harm for national standard Aussie athletes. To facilitate Nitro, Athletics Australia (AA) scrapped Melbourne Track Classic, Sydney Track Classic, Perth Track Classic, Adelaide Track Classic and Queensland Track Classic, which were all run by AA, and which provided athletes opportunity for high quality racing and a chance to run qualification standards. They decided to push the individual State Championships as an opportunity to run fast times over standard distances yet incredibly organised all state championships to take place on the one weekend, meaning an athlete can only choose one.

So in the past an athlete could run Nationals, 5 track classics and maybe a couple of state championships in their preferred distance. Now all they have is one state championship and nationals.

Nitro only allows 24 per team. That's 24 aussies plus maybe 8 who ran for Bolt All Stars. Great if you are one of them. Not so great if you are not. For most Australian athletes the opportunity of high level races is now drastically reduced, and those races at Nitro are not over standard distances anyway.

I enjoyed Nitro. Was great to see that stadium packed. I have never seen it even half full during my time there. They need to find a way to push this concept, but still protect their major stakeholders, the athletes.

We can lose the Gen LaCaze live stuff though. Cringeworthy.

"We can lose the Gen LaCaze live stuff though. Cringeworthy."

That's the typical Oz media stuff, they love themselves and hate it when they lose.

Advertisement