Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying house in Ard mor Tallaght

Options
  • 02-02-2017 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, I've been looking at a house for sale on Ard Mor Drive in Tallaght and would like to get some insights about the area. I know the surrounding areas as Jobstown, Brookfield & Fortunestown has its reputation, but I feel Ard Mor is placed pretty privately and not in direct exposure to bypassing troublemakers.

Looking at the estate it looks neat and clean and the neighbours seemed nice and decent too, so I just wanted to know if there's anything particular to look out for or be aware of.

Thanks in advance!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Go up at random times during the day/week and sit there in your car for 30 minutes or so. Make sure to include times like when the pubs close.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Knew someone who lived there, stayed over one or two nights. Rough as hell, noisy etc. There's a burnt out bin in the middle of the road on the Streetview pass in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Went out with a girl from there for a while not a great are bit of a rough aul spot truth be told and allot of very rough areas around it as u mentioned OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's actually just as bad as the other estates mentioned unfortunately op

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That's a shame because a quick look on daft.ie and it looks to be very nice houses for the prices (175k) in Dublin.
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/tallaght/15-ard-mor-drive-tallaght-dublin-1377745/#img=8
    You'd struggle to find the same in Kilkenny for that price...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

road_high wrote: »
    That's a shame because a quick look on daft.ie and it looks to be very nice houses for the prices (175k) in Dublin.
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/tallaght/15-ard-mor-drive-tallaght-dublin-1377745/#img=8

yeh there's a reason its €175K , you know that old adage of if it looks to good to be true it probably is

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's a reason for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

My son rented there for years and never had an ounce of trouble. I come from Tallaght originally and have always found that if you keep yourself to yourself you'll have no trouble.

That being said it is a good idea to just lurk around for a while in case it is a place where gangs hang out or whatever. You can get unlucky with the road of course.

yeh there's a reason its €175K , you know that old adage of if it looks to good to be true it probably is

Comes fully alarmed :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

My sister lived in there when the houses were only built, it only took about 18months to 2 years for it to turn into a dive. I'd avoid it tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 dholzendorff

Thanks all for quick responses, I'll probably keep looking in that case based on this feedback so far.

jonnycivic wrote: »
    My sister lived in there when the houses were only built, it only took about 18months to 2 years for it to turn into a dive. I'd avoid it tbh.

The houses genuinely look nice, it's obviously true in this case though the people make an area...

And that's the one I viewed yesterday exactly, was skeptical before going but don't want to judge before seeing it with my own eyes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The houses genuinely look nice, it's obviously true in this case though the people make an area...

The houses are very well built and are nice but its the people and the trouble around the general area that keep others away.

And that's the one I viewed yesterday exactly, was skeptical before going but don't want to judge before seeing it with my own eyes.

From the street-view pic you can see vans in some of the neighbouring houses, clearly plenty of people there that work and live a normal life too.

jonnycivic wrote: »
    The houses are very well built and are nice but its the people and the trouble around the general area that keep others away.
    That's what I thought, I was actually impressed about the quality of the houses and the next door neighbors looked nice and decent, but further down the road at the end it definitely looked worse.

From the street-view pic you can see vans in some of the neighbouring houses, clearly plenty of people there that work and live a normal life too.
    And that was the case yesterday as well, normal working people and families with kids, but the question is how the area is bothered with trouble in general. Living in Mulhuddart for 2 years I certainly know what "rough" areas are like to live in, but I never had any problems there.

It really depends what you want from an area. Personally I couldn't care less if the people down the road are dodgy, I close my door and mind my own business.

sugarman wrote: »
    Thats all well and good but when theres gangs of kids congregating outside your house half the night shouting and screaming, cars rallying around the estate and when theres trouble down the road with the dodgy crowd you've to ask yourself if its worth it?

Its just really not a pleasant place to live.

Quick search of 'Ard mor tallaght' will bring up enough articles of stabbings, assaults and raids in the area.

It'll also bring up a number of the local residents court cases.

Have you lived there Sugarman?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Private estate plonked in the middle of one of the roughest parts of Tallaght.

I know there are lovely people in the area but as is all too common there is also a lot of scrotes.

As sugarman said - expect gangs of kids outside your house, cars rallying around the estate etc

Horrible area stay away. I know from experience (I have close family there).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

Personally, I would avoid. I looked at a house there myself when I was buying a few years back, the area is rough, there's no denying it.

Wasnt that girl shot just at the entrance to this estate aswell a few years back?

Also anyone up that area know if that one particular family are still living in the estate? (The very large family that supposedly like to move around)

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭hellyeah

Just have a look across the road at Mac Ullium if you have any doubts about the area.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

That's enough now, we get the point, it's a rough area.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement