Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi 20V Hammer drill

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭dodzy

delboy76 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was looking out for the lidl parkside hammer drill but saw this today. It has 2 20v batteries. Do you think it would be worth it?

https://www.aldi.ie/20v-li-ion-cordless-hammer-drill/p/074855124691500

You'll likely get the usual replies such as:

"Cheap crap - steer clear"
    "Add a few quid and buy a branded too such as Makita"

It's pretty simple really: If you are looking for a general "around the house" tool for the odd bit of DIY, then you can't go wrong, particularly with the 3yr warranty and the spare battery.

If it's for more endurance type work or predominantly masonry drilling, then leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭delboy76

dodzy wrote: »

It's pretty simple really: If you are looking for a general "around the house" tool for the odd bit of DIY, then you can't go wrong, particularly with the 3yr warranty and the spare battery.

If it's for more endurance type work or predominantly masonry drilling, then leave it.

Thanks I will have a think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Hi,
    I was looking out for the lidl parkside hammer drill but saw this today. It has 2 20v batteries. Do you think it would be worth it?

Decent torque compared to other cheap drills, 3 year warranty, aldi are still able to supply batteries for drills sold 10 or more years ago for a fraction of the cost of main brand batteries. For DIY it will probably be fine, for professional use you'll probably find the casing is bendy and and creaky, the chuck a bit naf and the motor short lived but thats true of any dril with 2 batteries for less than a couple of hundred euro..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

dodzy wrote: »

While I agree with you, system tools (skip Bosch - they change the batteries every few years...) have the advantage of compatible batteries. Buy two batteries and it is enough to handle half dozen of tools...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Thanks I will have a think about it.

I'd go for it if you're only planning on light work. Their returns policy is fantastic. Just put the receipt somewhere safe.
    grogi wrote: »
    While I agree with you, system tools (skip Bosch - they change the batteries every few years...) have the advantage of compatible batteries. Buy two batteries and it is enough to handle half dozen of tools...

That's based on the assumption that you need more tools and you can source them from the same brand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

When was the last time bosch changed batteries every few years??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

The second battery is a plus, this was one gripe I always had with cordless drills from Aldi/Lidl. Like someone else said, I would't expect much if you are constantly using it in concrete or blocks or with thick steel plate. Half the battle is to get decent drill bits, some of the cheap muck does more damage to the drill than what you're trying to drill into. Probably plastic gearbox and innards but most likely on a par with the low end Bosch stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Notch000

stupid question but  is a 'Hammer drill' fine for normal drilling like wood, chipboard, using as a screw gun for assembling flat packs etc ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Don Imac2

Notch000 wrote: »
    stupid question but  is a 'Hammer drill' fine for normal drilling like wood, chipboard, using as a screw gun for assembling flat packs etc ?????

There are two settings. One for regular drilling and another for the hammer action which you would use when drilling walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Were you thinking of the Lidl Battery or Mains drill? I have the Parkside SDS mains hammer drill & it's superb.

This is quite expensive. I would check B&Q etc & see how much an 18v Makita etc costs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Hi,

I've had both Aldi and Lidl drills and found the Lidl one much better. The Aldi one gave up after 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Hi,

I picked up one of these today to replace my 14.4v Black and Decker that I bought several years ago, which served me well for general diy work.

This will be perfect for diy work, the reason I bought it is the three year warranty, 2 20v batteries and the one hour charging time.

It also has a built in led light and a battery power indicator, in fairness to Aldi I have had problems with 2 items over the years but one was replaced, and they allowed me keep the old one for spares. The other they gave me a full refund, a €50 euro voucher and the cost of me returning the item to their service depot in England.

Discodog wrote: »
    Were you thinking of the Lidl Battery or Mains drill? I have the Parkside SDS mains hammer drill & it's superb.

This is quite expensive. I would check B&Q etc & see how much an 18v Makita etc costs

Again, the cheap Makitas from B&Q use different battery than the rest of their system.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Again, the cheap Makitas from B&Q use different battery than the rest of their system.

The one's that I am thinking of are Li ion not nicad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭torrevieja

SO folks what would be a really decent Power tool ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

torrevieja wrote: »

One that fits your needs.

No point spending 200 quid on a pro drill that you use 15 minutes a year to hang a shelf and no point spending 50 quid on a drill youd use every day.

Personally I'd keep my eyes open for a Stanley Fat max on sale for a good middle ground. Maybe 100-120 euro.

DeWalt DCD996P2-GB

Well, you did ask ;)

Discodog wrote: »
    The one's that I am thinking of are Li ion not nicad

I did remember B&Q pushing Makitas HP457, sometimes in sets with an impact driver TD127D. Decent tools, with 18V Li-Ion batteries (albeit only 1.3 Ah IIRC).

But those batteries fit only those two tools... If one day you want a circular saw, multitool (aka a fein), an angle grinder or a lawn-mower (yes, they do battery powered mowers - exp. DLM380 - it takes 2x18V batteries) - you are out of luck.

I would advice to get a good 10.8V driver (without useless hammer function that only adds weights and bulk). Try to source one one that takes 13mm bits, but I don't know if any does... That would be perfect to do majority of works around the house. Top it with a corded SDS rotary hammer to drill in concrete.

If you would like to build your tool base in future though, go for a bigger 18V drill driver. Again - not a fan of the hammer action in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭BoobeR

I got a stanley fatmax 10.8v impact driver for 35 euros the other day in homebase on clearance. definitely go in there at least once a week. It was in the clearance section with no price, she scanned it at for 50euros (thinking that was full price), asked a guy what it should be marked down to and 35 euro!! Nearly took hand and all :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

Bought the most recent Lidl cordless drill in November. 18v, 2 batteries. Looked similar enough to this one. Gave up within a month from moderate DIY use. Didn't drill into concrete once with it, just some basic enough screwing of timber. Sounds like a plasticy grinding in the gearbox from my untrained ear.

Bought a Makita on sale for €140 in B&Q and it is excellent. Not sure it would stand up to the abuse a pro would hit it with, but from a DIY perspective it is phenomenal.

When the Makita eventually gives up I will go for the same type of drill again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Got a Fatmax hammer drill in argos 2* 2amp batteries in November .
    86 euro highly impressed

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3338762/Trail/searchtext%3EFATMAX.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭BoobeR

This is the stanley fatmax I ended up getting for 35: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Hand-Drills/Stanley-FatMax-FMC040LA-Impact-Driver-10-771143088/B00IZUPFCK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1486139218&sr=8-3&keywords=stanley+impact+driver+10.8

Also, I do have a Dewalt for drilling, It's REALLY useful having a screw driver and a drill for pre-drilling holes.

But definitely if you're going to spend some money, get a matching set. Even a line where they havent changed battery types in a while, like dewalt XR or some of the makita lines.

I'd highly recommend this drill as I have it and it blasts through everything.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CFNJF9W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Expensive yes, but it'll probably last me 10/20x as long as a drill you'd pay 60-80euro on.

Cheapest I could find it was here - http://www.uktoolcentre.co.uk//Shop/p~62446~DCD785M1-XR-2-Speed-Combi-Drill-18-Volt-1-x-4.0Ah-Li-Ion.html

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

stiofan85 wrote: »
    Bought the most recent Lidl cordless drill in November. 18v, 2 batteries. Looked similar enough to this one. Gave up within a month from moderate DIY use. Didn't drill into concrete once with it, just some basic enough screwing of timber. Sounds like a plasticy grinding in the gearbox from my untrained ear.

I thought the one Lidl had in November had one battery, AFAIKR the open box I looked at had one battery, and no place to hold a second one.

LOL at it giving up after a month with moderate DIY use, one mans moderate is another mans excessive.

I hope you returned the drill for a repair, replacement or refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Any ideas if this would be strong enough to drill into a concrete wall?

Any ideas if this would be strong enough to drill into a concrete wall?

The question is if you are strong enough... The difference in drilling efficiency between mechanical (in combi drills) and pneumatic (in rotary hammers) hammer is astronomical.

I would not put myself through the torture if I needed more than one hole...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

The question is if you are strong enough... The difference in drilling efficiency between mechanical (in combi drills) and pneumatic (in rotary hammers) hammer is astronomical.

I would not put myself through the torture if I needed more than one hole...

As in its hard on the arm?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,916 ✭✭✭cletus

If you're drilling 6mm holes into 4" blocks in your house, this'll be fine. If you're trying to drill into prefabricated concrete walls, you'll want an sds

As in its hard on the arm?

No offence to grogi but I think he is exaggerating a little in terms of the strength needed. You won't need arms like Popeyes to use this or any other drill (although using a true SDS vs a drill/driver on blockwork is night and day). It'll just take longer to drill block work with a non SDS tool.

The best advice I could give you if you are going to get this drill is to get a decent sets of masonry bits (for blockwork/concrete) and they will make your life a lot easier. these are very good

A few holes should pose no problem for the Aldi offering and I'm guessing the general enquiries from members here are based with the intention of light DIY, in which case it'll be easily fit for purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I just bought myself a Makita 10.8v. it's got two batteries and came with an led flashlight in the box and a set of screw heads and extensions...

I used to work around allot of joiners... Their tools were there livelihood and very personal. They chose high quality brands and had them serviced regularly. They spent allot of money but their drills lasted a long time.

The advice I got was not to worry about functions, I wouldn't be servicing the drill and things like hammer action put more strain on the machine and cause more wear and possible failures... Hammer actions etc are for taking pressure off the the user when in constant and repetitive use. Same goes for high voltage drills... Consider what you want to do with it and whether you will benefit from the extra power. I recall at least a couple of the joiners using DeWalt 12v.

Advertisement