Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two mirrors on one raid card?

Options
  • 02-02-2017 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to have two mirrors on one card? Two small drives mirrored for OS and two larger drives mirrored for data. Woud it be card dependent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Mods, would it be ok to have this moved to the Computers & Technology > Computers & Technology sub-forum, if possible? I think it would be as relevant there as it is here. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Certainly possible, but depends on the card. What are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Onboard, on a HP SE1102 - http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c00771065

Also, do I need to position the disks on the controller ports in the correct order if I want the smaller disks first or will the os read through until it finds the boot drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I'm not familiar with that HP controller but it's a fairly standard feature, the documentation doesn't seem to suggest it can't. Just create an array and then try create another.
    As it says in the doc, you'll have to make the array bootable. After that, you may have to set the boot priority. I have multiple machines with multiple arrays on each, it's fairly standard on decent controllers so you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭opus

Should indeed be possible but again not familiar with that card. The low spec cards in the Dell servers we use at work allow a max of two RAID volumes as it happens, only discovered that when I tried to create a third. Even the Dell support person didn't know about the limit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 gearoid!

Also, do I need to position the disks on the controller ports in the correct order if I want the smaller disks first or will the os read through until it finds the boot drive?

> You don't need to. You could take note of the Serial Number or Model Number of your Drives and select those drives from the RAID Menu when creating the array.

Advertisement