Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few interesting stats from our top distance runners

Options
  • 02-02-2017 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

Dunno if its of any interest to anyone but I thought it gives a bit of insight in to what alot of our top distance runners are doing (sample size 109 - 78 men and 31 women)

-Results More than half the respondents (53.2%) run less than 60 miles per week and 11% run more than 80 miles per week.
    -Eighty-eight per cent of athletes include resistance training:
    - Weight training (36.5% complete two sessions per week),
    -plyometric training (35.4% complete one session per week),
    -core training (47.9% complete two sessions per week)
    - hill training (60.4% complete one session per week) were the most common resistance training methods employed

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/51/4/324.3.abstract?sid=320c5340-cc4e-46a9-831b-d2379b148ae7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

"distance" is everyone from 800m runners to marathon, would be interesting to see the breakdown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

And also the duplication of the %'s, I'd assume that some runners are doing more than just one of the resistance/weight/plyometric/core options? Very interesting to see over 50% of them have less than 60 mile weeks too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

And also the duplication of the %'s, I'd assume that some runners are doing more than just one of the resistance/weight/plyometric/core options? Very interesting to see over 50% of them have less than 60 mile weeks too.

As it contains 800/1500m runners that is probably a bit skewed (although the fact that only 11% run over 80 miles a week would indicate that yes a lot doing less mileage than counter parts in other countries and compared to previous generations)

Advertisement