Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to go for lunch in city centre?

Options
  • 02-02-2017 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to think of somewhere I'd like to go for lunch today, I want something nice like a special, something healthy enough. Any good tasty sandwhich soup deals kind of thing anywhere??

I love the bagel factory, gingerman is quite good.. subway meh, anywhere that you wouldn't think of going but is good? and reasonable price :D anywhere around the town centre area, john st, red square, patrick st

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

I'm trying to think of somewhere I'd like to go for lunch today, I want something nice like a special, something healthy enough. Any good tasty sandwhich soup deals kind of thing anywhere??

I love the bagel factory, gingerman is quite good.. subway meh, anywhere that you wouldn't think of going but is good? and reasonable price :D anywhere around the town centre area, john st, red square, patrick st

City Arms on High Street is good, also the Parlour Vintage Tea Rooms if alcohol is not a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

No alcohol required here! Might have a look at city arms

No alcohol required here! Might have a look at city arms

Also Cafe Lucia opposite the Gingerman is very good and a bit quirky in its decor.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

Try Bodega on Johns street.Theres Burzza next door if you like fancy burger or pizzas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Might be too late now but Gallweys Cafe do nice lunches, and the Fat Angel (the new wine bar). Both are over Bishops Palace direction. Neither are overly fancy but both do tasty sandwiches!

• Advertisement

I'd love to try the Fat Angel actually. Weirdly enough I went to Subway even though I said I didn't want to :D

4.50 for a 6 inch chicken &chorizo melt with jalapenos and sweetcorn, also with a drink! Great deal, was yummy

• Registered Users Posts: 39,534 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Mono is great for lunch. Very tasty

I'd love to try the Fat Angel actually. Weirdly enough I went to Subway even though I said I didn't want to :D

4.50 for a 6 inch chicken &chorizo melt with jalapenos and sweetcorn, also with a drink! Great deal, was yummy

Hmm, must try harder. Your mission for next week is to try one of the suggestions here 👍

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

No.9 cafe above Boots. Genuinely the best service you will get anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

I don't think there's much point in recommending quality restaurants to the OP , he went to subway and thought it was yummy. I think you're better off recommending centra and spar.

• Advertisement

Haha, you have to wonder alright. Maybe this week he'll rise to the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

I like the Granary.

No.9 isn't great to be honest, I used to work there and have been for food a couple times since..yeah the service is great but that's about the only thing. I find the food overpriced and quality is not worth the money. Staff and location perfect but food lets the place down.

deisemum wrote: »
    I like the Granary.

I love the Granary :D I do find it a tad limited though (the menu) as you can really only choose from egg, quiche, sandwich or soup.

And it's she!! :O :D

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭buzzinfly83

I'm a big fan of O' Briens. They do nice freshly made sandwiches etc and good coffee too.

The park cafe is another good spot. They have a great selection of cakes to choose from aswell as good food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

No.9 isn't great to be honest, I used to work there and have been for food a couple times since..yeah the service is great but that's about the only thing. I find the food overpriced and quality is not worth the money. Staff and location perfect but food lets the place down.

I like no 9, have been in there without kids in tow too.I'd imagine working anywhere would put you off that place.

Not really, I've worked in a few cafe so restaurants and would happily enjoy their food if up to standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

On the point of No9, why so many staff? I have been there a few times and although the food and the people are lovely, it always seems like there are way too many staff members just hanging around, waiting for something to do or generally just walking around watching everything. Place is over staffed in my view.

Yeah it is a bit over staffed but I think its cause they do have a lot of tables and it can get quite busy at lunch and morning so maybe you went at a quieter time? Everyone who I know has worked there complained about management and the place in general.

• Advertisement

Yeah it is a bit over staffed but I think its cause they do have a lot of tables and it can get quite busy at lunch and morning so maybe you went at a quieter time? Everyone who I know has worked there complained about management and the place in general.

I recognise one woman there, think shes a supervisor or something, from way back in the Brunch days, shes the only one I think is still there that long, must be paying somewhat well! A lot of the staff there move on after a while I would say.

Yeah Jackie that's her, she's there years since it was the old place! There's a Blond older woman who's also there a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭2SWEET

So having read the title of this thread and some of the posts I have to say I'm a little bit confused! It's starts with suggestions for place to go and seems to have gone on to put down probably the busiest cafe in the town.
    Anyway just to add my opinion, I love the granary for their selection of salads, love berfranks for coffee and a nice cake but if I have my kids with me it just has to be No.9 the kids menu is excellent and the staff know how to deal with kids as well as keeping mammy and Daddy happy!

Not meaning to put down anyone/ where... just as I stated the service in No.9 is great, I just mentioned I'm not mad on the food and have heard the same from others.

Not meaning to put down anyone/ where... just as I stated the service in No.9 is great, I just mentioned I'm not mad on the food and have heard the same from others.

You didn't put down anyone or any business you just gave your honest opinion on food, we are all entitled to it. At least Waterford has plenty of choice, I think we can all agree that's a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭2SWEET

Apologies if I misread your post, but to me saying everyone you know who worked there complained about the management and the place in general was kinda putting down the staff that still work there.

On another note, had a lovely lunch in the granville today hadn't been there in a while so was a nice change.

Apology accepted!

I'm a regular in the Granville. Fantastic place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Momo is lovely for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Munster do decent food right into the evening

Men's portions too 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭psnKOB79LFC

thomasm wrote: »
    Momo is lovely for lunch.

Momo is unreal.

If you want old fashioned trough food go to Granville and that ilk

Advertisement