Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good quality cat food or vet?

Options
  • 02-02-2017 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭

My cat used to have a habit of staying out all day while we were at work then when he came in for his food he would wolf it down and end up vomiting it back up. I sorted this by either making sure he stayed in while we were at work where he had regular access to dry food that he could nibble at, or else if he was out all day when he came in just feeding him a small bit at a time so he didn't eat too fast and puke it all back up. The last 2 or 3 days no matter when or how much we feed him he's puking it back up. I tried a different food and the same happened. It was still a cheaper food, but was the only other option in the shop when I got in. Bigger/ better shops etc were clsoed at the time. I was reading online that (among a million other things) it could be allergies making him puke, that the lining of his stomach could be irritated and that good quality cat food could help. I usually just got aldi/ lidl/ centra catfood up until now. He is in fine form otherwise, and isn't losing any weight.. Just wondering should I give it a go and try him on a good quality cat food to see if he still pukes or bring him to the vet this weekend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭mistybluehills

mcgiggles wrote: »
    My cat used to have a habit of staying out all day while we were at work then when he came in for his food he would wolf it down and end up vomiting it back up. I sorted this by either making sure he stayed in while we were at work where he had regular access to dry food that he could nibble at, or else if he was out all day when he came in just feeding him a small bit at a time so he didn't eat too fast and puke it all back up. The last 2 or 3 days no matter when or how much we feed him he's puking it back up. I tried a different food and the same happened. It was still a cheaper food, but was the only other option in the shop when I got in. Bigger/ better shops etc were clsoed at the time. I was reading online that (among a million other things) it could be allergies making him puke, that the lining of his stomach could be irritated and that good quality cat food could help. I usually just got aldi/ lidl/ centra catfood up until now. He is in fine form otherwise, and isn't losing any weight.. Just wondering should I give it a go and try him on a good quality cat food to see if he still pukes or bring him to the vet this weekend?

Standard advice is of course go to the vet.
    But perhaps you could let me know the age, sex, breed and whether your cat is neutered, might be able to guide you a bit more then.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Standard advice is of course go to the vet. But perhaps you could let me know the age, sex, breed and whether your cat is neutered, might be able to guide you a bit more then. Cheers

Sorry of course, he's male neutered, not sure of breed (short haired grey/white/black?) or specific age - he's a rescue cat I've had him just over 4 years and I'd guess he was about 8 weeks when I got him. Made an apt with vet for tomorrow afternoon so we'll see what she says

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭jenn1984

If he's on a diet of just dry food this could be making him sick as some of the cheaper ones are loaded with carbs, which don't particularly agree with cats and you need one with as high a meat content as possible. Would definitely double check with the vet just to make sure there isn't anything underlying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

He's on both dry and wet food, but his wet food doesn't last for him to nibble at during the day, i make sure there's some dry food in his bowl every day before I go to work (he never eats all of it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭jenn1984

He's on both dry and wet food, but his wet food doesn't last for him to nibble at during the day, i make sure there's some dry food in his bowl every day before I go to work (he never eats all of it)

I'd recommend Coshida crunchies in LIDL (2.49 for 750g I think) - meat is their first ingredient. We tried the kitten variety this week for the first time on our lot of 9 month olds and they were all purring! Good luck with the vets.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

jenn1984 wrote: »
    I'd recommend Coshida crunchies in LIDL (2.49 for 750g I think) - meat is their first ingredient. We tried the kitten variety this week for the first time on our lot of 9 month olds and they were all purring! Good luck with the vets.
    You can also find it on Zoohit under the name Catessy apparently; as to OP have you tried a slow eating bowl? It helped us with a cat who'd vacuum bowls only to throw it up directly afterwards to reduce it from every meal to once a month kind of occurrence. This one ended up being the most popular of the four different types we tried in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭mistybluehills

Sorry of course, he's male neutered, not sure of breed (short haired grey/white/black?) or specific age - he's a rescue cat I've had him just over 4 years and I'd guess he was about 8 weeks when I got him. Made an apt with vet for tomorrow afternoon so we'll see what she says

There are many causes of vomiting, food allergy/intolerance is just one. Some serious, some less so.
    However our friend here- he's not that old and that's very much in his favour that his problem may fall into the less serious category.
    Best wait for what the vet has to say before speculating
    I did have a cat like this one time, he had a similar presentation and turned out to have inflammatory bowel disease, but he responded well to treatment.
    But just remember there are very many causes of this type of vomiting, so keep an open mind until you have a diagnosis (and a diagnosis from your vet, not from here ☺)
    He sounds like a grand little chap with those colours, in the cat world he'd be known as a domestic-short hair. Best of luck and here's hoping he'll be ok.n

Advertisement