Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rate My Setup

Options
  • 02-02-2017 5:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

How's it going, fairly new to this master race craic! Bought a PC off one of the lads because he preferred console gaming, only a few months old. Will be using it mainly for video and photo editing but I am big into FPS and simulation games. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas with regards to upgrades. Will end up doubling the RAM to 16GB in a few weeks.

Specs are as follows:
    Operating System - Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Hard Drive - Seagate 1TB Barracuda
    Ram - 8GB Kingston HyperX FURY Blue (2x4gb)
    Motherboard - MSI 970 Gaming (MA-7693)
    GPU - AMD Radeon R7 370
    CPU - AMD FX-6300
    PSU - CoolerMaster GM Series G650M
    Case - NZXT S340 with Sickleflow 120 2000 RPM Red LED Fan
    Optical Drive - Samsung SH-224FB (Not Installed)

Sound ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Get a nice SSD for the photo editing. And maybe some more RAM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's a fine entry level PC but I suppose how good it is depends on what was paid for it. From a friend, I would say around €350-400 would be OK value. I'm actually selling my friend's PC for him with almost the exact same spec (FX-6300, 8GB, R9 270X, 1TB HDD, Corsair Case, 750W PSU) and he's happy to get €300-350 for it.

Upgrade wise, the only thing you can do to make it faster other than more RAM like you've planned is 1) new processor, 2) SSD, 3) better graphics card.

1) The FX-8320 or FX-8350 are 8 core versions of the 6 core FX-6300 and are the only upgrades available, although they're a lot slower than say, Intel i5 in general (in games, around i3 level, better in some, worse in others, but on the whole....equally though, they fare much better than i3 at most multi-threaded applications like editing)

I'd probably try to pick up one 2nd hand for around €80-90 as at full price they're not really good value when these days you can get a brand new Intel B250 board, 8GB DDR4 and G4560 processor (same as Skylake i3-6100 basically) for around €200 new and it's a much better, newer platform. Your FX-6300 should get €50-60 back so really the net cost would only be around €50 or so.

2) An SSD will make a massive difference, and would be my first upgrade! Even just a 120GB for SSD and most commonly used programmes, though for me 240GB is the sweet spot to allow your favourite games on there as well.

3) The R9 370 is an OKish card and doesn't strictly need upgrading, but it really depends on what you're looking to play and what settings you're hoping for. The problem with the FX is that performance per core is poor, so if the game doesn't scale well across multiple cores or doesn't agree with AMD's architecture, your card can end up sitting half idle due to CPU bottleneck (eg. Fallout 4 the FX is noticeably slower than an i3, but in Battlefield 1 it's noticeably faster)

My friend went from his FX-6300 to an i5-6500 and in Fallout 4 the FPS when from a hoovering 40ish fps with some dips to a rock solid 60fps, even when using the same card (270X, similar to your 370), for example.

Advertisement