Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unwanted Facebook notifications

• 02-02-2017 4:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

So I'm not a big Facebook user, but I do pop on it once in a while. Recently, every time I do I'm getting 4-8 new notifications, however they're all about things that have nothing to do with me, for example "(Random Friend A) commented on (Stranger)'s status" or "(Random Friend B) commented on her status".

I had this problem before, but it was because the "close friend activity" setting was turned on, this time however it isn't. I've also checked to see if i'm "following" them specifically, but I'm not. I've been going through my settings, and looking around the internet for a solution, but so far I haven't found one, other than a bunch of unanswered questions on facebook's "community" site, including my own from the last time I had this problem.

Below I've attached an example of my notifications tab, and a screenshot of my settings, in case there's something I've missed. The only notification turned on is if someone tags me in something, but I'm not tagged in any of the posts I'm being notified about. If anyone could help me here I'd really appreciate it, it's starting to get really annoying.

A quick edit here, I forgot the filenames would show up here, sorry about that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Click on the notification itself, on the right have side there's a little arrow. Click on that there should be an option to stop that particular type of notification. Do that for each one that you don't want. If you're doing this from your phone, hold your finger on the notification.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What rawn said

Facebook help centre
    https://www.facebook.com/help/390022341057202

• Registered Users Posts: 48 MrShine

The notifications don't have an arrow for me, they have three dots. When I click on that I only get the option to "hide this notification". I've been doing this for a while now, hoping it would change things, but it hasn't. In my settings menu I'm basically set to receive barely any notifications, everything is turned off.

To make things worse, today I've also started getting notifications asking "Do you know this person". Four of them. To be honest, at this stage I might as well just ignore it, and start using Facebook even less. Cheers for the replies regardless.

Advertisement