Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

three ayce apn

Options
  • 02-02-2017 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi,

I live in the middle of the country and my internet speed averages at 1.5 down.

So I have been following the threads below with interest and decided to go down the 4G route.

It turns out I can get a pretty go 4G signal from the Three network, which greatly improves when I'm outside the house.

I took Paddy19's advice and bought a B593S-12 Telekom Speedport LTE II on ebay and am in the process of buying an external antenna.

In the setting menu I see the data apn as internet.home, should i change it to 3ireland.ie or leave well enough alone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

Many of the Three 4G masts will accept any entry put in the APN field, so your mast is indeed one of them. Their 3G masts are however more picky, with many refusing to connect if the APN name is incorrect.

I would suggest putting in the proper one '3ireland.ie' as that way if the 4G mast goes down for some reason, your router will have no issue connecting in 3G mode.

For the two LOG antenna suggestions, I would go for the two triangular shape antennas . They can positioned individually and separated further apart if one is causing interference with the other. They can also be mounted on separate poles. On the other hand, they are a little less sightly and require a longer pole than the combined LOG antenna.

A friend who has the combined LOG antenna regrets buying it as he cannot achieve the speed he gets with his router's built-in antennas, no matter where he tried placing the antenna outside. I think the problem is that as the router transmits on one cable, the antenna is picking up back-feed on the other cable, which is less likely to occur with the antennas separated.

The Poynting panel antenna is a different type of antenna to a LOG, which has two elements inside positioned in the opposite polarity to each other. One advantage with it over LOG and Yagi antennas is that it is immune to interference around the back of the antenna. It does not mention the gain, but I estimate it to be around 9dBi, which is typical of a panel antenna with two elements.

I have the LOG antenna and will be trying to install it with a Huawei E5186 over the weekend. Will post my results, but I have a feeling it's not going to work properly.

Karsini wrote: »
    I have the LOG antenna and will be trying to install it with a Huawei E5186 over the weekend. Will post my results, but I have a feeling it's not going to work properly.
    How wrong I was! It works very well. :)

I tested it on the ground first, holding the antenna towards the local high site with my arm extended. Got 24.96 down and 7.24 up. So I was off to a good start.

So my dad went on the roof and mounted it at the same location. 30.12 down and 36.51 up! Ping averages about 40ms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tap28

Karsini wrote: »
    How wrong I was! It works very well. :)

I tested it on the ground first, holding the antenna towards the local high site with my arm extended. Got 24.96 down and 7.24 up. So I was off to a good start.

So my dad went on the roof and mounted it at the same location. 30.12 down and 36.51 up! Ping averages about 40ms.

That's great.

I ended up going for http://www.dipol.ie/cellular-systems/gsm-3g-lte-antennas/lte/atk-log-alp-lte-mimo-2x2-antenna-800-3000mhz-10m-cables-sma-plug.html, it arrived on Friday and hopefully will be fitted by Monday evening. I will post on how I get on.

I have moved the router to the attic and connected it to all the cat5 in the house but the results are on average 5mb down and 10mb up???

Tomorrow the antenna gets connected and hopefully the speeds will increase.

The antenna was installed today and boy did it make a difference.

Average down 25 with up of 15.
    Signal Strength: 4
    RSRP(dBm) -85
    RSRQ(dB) -8

That's a nice improvement. One possibility for the degraded performance in the attic is that the roof may have foil-backed or other RF unfriendly insulation.

Advertisement