Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sowing Grass Seed in February?

Options
  • 01-02-2017 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,738 ✭✭✭✭

I bought some Grass Seed Today , it says "fast germinating - in 7 days!" .. but it says sow in March - I just know that with my compulsiveness I will not be able to leave that grass seed in its box until March, and the weather has been pretty mild and the grass is starting to grow outside in places even though it was January

- I fancy taking a gamble and putting it down if its mild this week , am also aware that some frost is forecasted in the next week (but you can get frost in March too) so the boxes of this grass cost a fiver each and I got 2 boxes

- if it dont take I loose a tenner.. if it takes and starts growing its a bonus and should be growing well by march

- whats my chances of it growing, shall I take a gamble do you reckon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's a bit distant to be sure but there are suggestions of a Scadi high dropping anchor in 8-10 days time, if this occurs then it'll be cold in the easterly airflow and for more than the odd day or three.

I'd leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Wait until the end March, soil temperatures need to be above 7 degrees for growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

I never buy box seed I find the germination rate is very low, some of it has been stored from two or more years ago.

Imo you are better off getting it in a seed / grain place or your local hardware might do it (mine do)

I agree about waiting until March, February has form for ****ing up growing plans

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

I bought some Grass Seed Today , it says "fast germinating - in 7 days!" .. but it says sow in March - I just know that with my compulsiveness I will not be able to leave that grass seed in its box until March, and the weather has been pretty mild and the grass is starting to grow outside in places even though it was January

- I fancy taking a gamble and putting it down if its mild this week , am also aware that some frost is forecasted in the next week (but you can get frost in March too) so the boxes of this grass cost a fiver each and I got 2 boxes

- if it dont take I loose a tenner.. if it takes and starts growing its a bonus and should be growing well by march

- whats my chances of it growing, shall I take a gamble do you reckon?

Not a chance Andy, don't do it man, it's too risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

The birds will also devour the seed at this time of year as there is not much naturally occurring seed left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Wait until the end March, soil temperatures need to be above 7 degrees for growth.

Not 100% true. Any air temp above 2°c in direct sunlight will create growth.

OP I would be wary of anything that claims to be "fast germination".

What is on the side/bottom of the bag? It will be a green label or printed and most likely in Latin?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Not 100% true. Any air temp above 2°c in direct sunlight will create growth.

OP I would be wary of anything that claims to be "fast germination".

What is on the side/bottom of the bag? It will be a green label or printed and most likely in Latin?

Growth and germination are two different things, while you maybe correct growth (sporadic) does occur in direct sunlight and air temperature above 2 degrees Celsius, germination requires a soil temperature of 6 degrees Celsius and above.

Advertisement