Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running In Munster On The Way Out?

Options
  • 01-02-2017 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Just noticed over the last while that updates with race results are getting few and far between and the calendar is as sparse as I've ever seen outside of the weekly parkruns and even has omissions of the hugely popular races like the Ballycotton 10. I love the site and is pretty much my go to when searching up local races and results so it would be a shame to see it go down. I'm aware that the running boom is well and truly over at this stage so is the sparse calendar because of the sheer lack of races post boom or is the site quietening down? Anyone know what the story is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Dunno. Running in Cork is still very active and has race Calendar for all of Munster. He still does regular results for all the Cork races.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

El Caballo wrote: »
    I'm aware that the running boom is well and truly over at this stage

It is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Just noticed over the last while that updates with race results are getting few and far between and the calendar is as sparse as I've ever seen outside of the weekly parkruns and even has omissions of the hugely popular races like the Ballycotton 10. I love the site and is pretty much my go to when searching up local races and results so it would be a shame to see it go down. I'm aware that the running boom is well and truly over at this stage so is the sparse calendar because of the sheer lack of races post boom or is the site quietening down? Anyone know what the story is?
    same as above, running in cork covers all the same stuff, all of munster and some more sometimes if it a big race.
    running boom is over? OT seems to have everyone out again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

From what I see at lunch times and in the evenings, the running boom is still booming.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

I think the boom is even boomier.....
    All runners whether be club or recreational have become much more savy and are avoiding certain types of events! well run and worthy events are still going from strenght to strenght.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

If you think Munsters bad, check out events for Connacht...

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

RayCun wrote: »
    It is?

It is down here in my opinion, less races and any surviving races are well down in numbers with the exception of the stalwart events, club memberships seem to be well down as well compared to a couple of years ago.

My main question is more in line with have that many races disappeared dropped off the calander because I suprised to see so few or is it that the running in munster site is becoming less active than it was? Looking at the running in cork website as advised above, that site has the same calendar as running in Munster but the site is much more active on results and posts despite them only being relative to Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

It is down here in my opinion, less races and any surviving races are well down in numbers with the exception of the stalwart events, club memberships seem to be well down as well compared to a couple of years ago.

Actually found some statistics that dispute some of my comments especially club memberships, seems that clubs are bigger than ever so my perception is obviously wrong. Still sure that less people are racing and there are less races on though, Possibly as was mentioned above as people are choosing better races now, I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Actually found some statistics that dispute some of my comments especially club memberships, seems that clubs are bigger than ever so my perception is obviously wrong. Still sure that less people are racing and there are less races on though, Possibly as was mentioned above as people are choosing better races now, I don't know.

It's funny I was actually thinking the opposite this year in some the races I noticed

- Record numbers in the Dublin Masters XC (Bigger that any All Irelands in recent memory)
    - Record numbers in Raheny 5 mile (and 50 sub 27 mins which is exceptionally deep)
    - Dungarvan and Trim 10 miles pretty much sold out this weekend

Is parkrun gobbling up some of the other 5km races? I mean, why pay?

Certainly the Running in Munster calendar seems a lot quieter! and see some races like the Mealagh Valley have gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Is parkrun gobbling up some of the other 5km races? I mean, why pay?

Dont think so. We had our third biggest attendance in Lees Road parkrun last saturday. The first race (5K) of the third running of the Clare Series was on afterwards from the same venue, they ~800 its biggest entry in 3 years. A lot of the parkrunners did both.

Advertisement