Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newsworld

Options
  • 01-02-2017 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭

anyone know why Newsworld is closed down in Carlow? it seemed to be very sudden

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

patrickc wrote: »
    anyone know why Newsworld is closed down in Carlow? it seemed to be very sudden

That the place across from supermacs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭patrickc

road_high wrote: »
    That the place across from supermacs?

yes it is, there's a shop to let sign on it too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

It's been on the cards for a while afaik.
    The wine buff closed just before Christmas, and shoe zone are closing shortly.

Not much footfall on Tully St it seems.

It's been on the cards for a while afaik.
    The wine buff closed just before Christmas, and shoe zone are closing shortly.

Not much footfall on Tully St it seems.

I thought things had been picking up a little...Tiger opened and a new café. And that Europrice shop.
    Rents and rates are a killer still.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,501 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just passed it now and there is a sign up for a new Deli and Sandwich bar opening soon.

• Advertisement

Just passed it now and there is a sign up for a new Deli and Sandwich bar opening soon.

They had a nice enough/good value deli there already (though it's a good while since I was in there). Imagine that's far more profitable than a newsagents these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Speaking of new deli's, there is one at the bottom of castle hill, never seems to be open.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Jed and Dave

road_high wrote: »
    I thought things had been picking up a little...Tiger opened and a new café. And that Europrice shop.
    Rents and rates are a killer still.

Sad news remember going into the shop back in the 90s in my college days in Carlow. Part of the reason theres not enough footfall around there because theres not enough people living in the centre of town(as well as other reasons) Carlow is growing in population but around the fringes only, im delighted about the new shopping centre because it addresses the river its in the town and theres also an element of residential apartments in it, i think the town centre needs more high quality apartments in mixed use developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Sad news remember going into the shop back in the 90s in my college days in Carlow. Part of the reason theres not enough footfall around there because theres not enough people living in the centre of town(as well as other reasons) Carlow is growing in population but around the fringes only, im delighted about the new shopping centre because it addresses the river its in the town and theres also an element of residential apartments in it, i think the town centre needs more high quality apartments in mixed use developments.

The one thing Carlow doesn't need is more feckin apartments. Sure there's apartments from the proposed development all the way back to the river and beyond and the majority of them are an eye sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Jed and Dave

well thats where i disagree with you, the centre of carlow town the popoulation is dropping drastically businesses thrive near people. Apartments as part of mixed use schemes and if done correctly can be quite attractive.
    its that or building housing estates 3 miles out the road and creating less footfall and more traffic congestion.

• Advertisement

well thats where i disagree with you, the centre of carlow town the popoulation is dropping drastically businesses thrive near people. Apartments as part of mixed use schemes and if done correctly can be quite attractive.
    its that or building housing estates 3 miles out the road and creating less footfall and more traffic congestion.

I'm more than willing to listen to reason.

Give me 3 examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,501 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I can see a few deli's popping up around that area now with the Penny's development will be starting and there will be a couple of hundred hungry builders around.

2 in Dublin city centre and 1 that the best sole occupant which has done well to be fair is a polish supermarket and has also had at least 3 restaurants open and close in as many years although I do see another has thrown their hat into the ring.

I'm afraid you'll have to try a lot harder to convince me that apartments create footfall and commercial success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    2 in Dublin city centre and 1 that the best sole occupant which has done well to be fair is a polish supermarket and has also had at least 3 restaurants open and close in as many years although I do see another has thrown their hat into the ring.

I'm afraid you'll have to try a lot harder to convince me that apartments create footfall and commercial success.

Moldova & Polonez are the one company; think Moldova is the bigger unit, certainly feels or felt like it when I was in there last week anyway, longer anyway.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Moldova & Polonez are the one company; think Moldova is the bigger unit, certainly feels or felt like it when I was in there last week anyway, longer anyway.

I was thinking it's a bit cheeky of someone to open a mini market across the road from another one.

Although is there really the need for 2 of them side by side?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭cocaliquid

Both shops have different food items and carry different brands.

One does pig heads and feet while the other one dose not :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

cocaliquid wrote: »
    One does pig heads and feet while the other one dose not :pac:

That explains it then lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Saw this shop was back trading yesterday (Saturday).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

I'm only around the corner from it and it was hit and miss for a while. It was really hard to judge if it was open or not.

To be fair anytime I was ever in it was busy enough. I've moved on though. Get the usual bread milk etc in The little Irish Shop now.

As for the fat belly deli, no idea what was happening there. Spoke to the guy the first day he opened (dec) and he said he'd be fully up and running in February...well into April now and still no stir.

There's a new restaurant in Kennedy street, Caffe 500. Little Italian place, smells Devine when you walk past..prices seem reasonable enough!

• Advertisement
Advertisement