Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing Motorhome from Germany

Options
  • 01-02-2017 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Just wondering if anyone knows whether you have to pay VAT on purchase of second-hand motorhome in Germany or do you get it at Net price. I am aware that VRT is 13.3% of Open Market Value and that has to be paid when bringing it into Ireland. Any information would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Website40 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows whether you have to pay VAT on purchase of second-hand motorhome in Germany or do you get it at Net price. I am aware that VRT is 13.3% of Open Market Value and that has to be paid when bringing it into Ireland. Any information would be great. Thanks.

HAVE A LOOK AT

http://www.revenue.ie/revsearch/search?q=IMPORTING+VEHICLES&btnSearch=Find

YOU MIGHT FIND THE ANSWER THERE

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Website40

thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

If you do import make sure to have a careful look at Revenues OMSP evaluation.

It can be challenged.

You will need 3 lower prices to challenge it.

Your own invoice may well be lower, in which you need only 2 more.

Revenue say you MAY (stressing MAY) get a valuation from a dealer here - obviously it is lower use it, if not search for similar vehicles online - do all the EU countries and pick the lowest.

You will have to adjust for the different VAT rates in different countries etc but it could be worth it, I was able to get the OMSP reduced by 10% and Revenue refunded no problem.

They refused my first challenge because I did not have a valuation from a dealer here but when I pointed out that the regulation said "may" include an Irish Dealer valuation, they accepted that ot was not essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Website40

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes I heard that the VRT is never set in stone. Very helpful to know that 3 valuations will help if I am not happy with Revenue's figure. Super. Thanks again.

Advertisement