Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guardian Down... Revive in........?????

Options
  • 01-02-2017 2:25pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As a guardian we all know our duty, we all have our role to play in eradicating darkness and bringing light back to the world. But when one of your Fireteam is downed whilst their back is turned what do you do…..

A few days ago one of the original members of the Destiny clan had their home broken into when they were going about their daily business and their consoles amongst other things stolen. They just popped a message into the PS chat to let everyone know what had happened and that they wouldn’t be online to play for a while until they were able to replace their system etc.

Guardian down…… and it’s a darkness zone :eek: so they have no idea when they will be able to respawn. The guardians of the Boards.ie Destiny clan got together and decided that they had to help out their fallen comrade, a comrade that was always there when anyone else ever needed a hand. It only took one man to make a suggestion but an entire clan to help implement it. The clan dusted off their Crests of Alpha Lupi’s and within a couple of hours a sum of money was raised and our comrade revived.
    To see the clan going to the efforts they have to help out here has shown exactly why little communities like this exist. I would like to thank everyone that donated and helped out with this from within the Destiny Clan/Forum but also the users on Reddit that got involved too. You have done our little community proud :D

Just remember….. They are more than a Fireteam, they are family.

Take care guardians :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Hear Hear!

It really is a testament to how far things have come in 28 Months.

Lights pipe and relaxes back into chair stroking old man beard

I still remember when Fieldog posted in the OG thread saying "1 of the admins in the clan changed the clan name to The Gay Fish Clan", (this was like September 11th 2014) "Does anyone else want to be an admin" and myself and Sniper stepped up.
    Back then *rocks back and forth in my old man chain* there was chat room for players >lvl20, another for 20-26, another for 26-29 and another for 29+ (lvl cap at the time was 30).
    The rest after that is History

Now the clan has ~80 very active and helpful players (and a whole host of others from the remaining 150 players in the 3 Boards.ie Clans who come and go) spanning communities across ~10 different games.

It's created a very open, fun, fair, receiving community.
    A lot of that has to do with the attitude created within the clan by it's members.

People are happy to help newbies and friends alike, show people the ropes in XYZ and carry others to greatness.
    In the whole time, it's been a fairly easy job to Moderate (at least from my experience), very few issues and anything negative or toxic that did happen was resolved and moved on from swiftly.
    The admin side of organising the chat rooms back in the day, yeah that was busy work, but thankfully thats less of an issue now :o

Overall it's been great to be involved in such a great community of people.
    Spend a few nights playing with Destiny's saltiest LFG's and you'll see what a fantastic community this is.
    The amount of b***hing, salt, competitiveness, cringe, overtly racist/sexist/homophobic cr@p I've heard in party chats with randoms is fairly shocking.
    While we take the pi$$ and chew each other out a bit, it's rarely personal and doesn't create outright fights or rifts.
    It's all for the greater good.
    In the end of the day, they are just video games, it's the people playing the games that matter.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.

Thank you all for everything over the last 2+ years and particularly for everything that was done over the last 2 days.
    Members showed a lot of generosity and everyone acted fast at the call to arms, it was a great thing to see and showed the humanity and compassion of the members.

GG People, GG :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,141 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I do find this community has been a great place to game, and as Generic says, not just Destiny. Borderlands, Battleborn Overwatch - I know a few group together in Titanfall and Division too.

From my own perspective, I was a single player game player. I had no skills nor interest in PVP, losing a lot didn't interest me and my small group of friends from school days don't game so for the most part multiplayer games were out. I had actually paid very little attention to Destiny - downloading the beta on a whim (on xbox!) and enjoying it. I bought it on the Playstation cause there were exclusives. I played the single player campaign and was happy enough to leave it at that - but I saw the megathread on boards and threw out a few friend requests - after a long time I was raid ready and it was great to be able to jump into the raid with a group that knew where I was at in the game.

From there I was pestered into the PVP side of the game, and after a long time I eventually was able to start to hold my own - and I am now at the point where I genuinely enjoy the PVP side (of Destiny anyway!)

Honestly, without the destiny community on here my gaming habbits would be completely different (though my wife might prefer that!). I've bought Borderlands, Battleborn and Overwatch just to continue gaming with the people of this community as the various content draughts have hit - but it has all stemmed from the welcoming and fun community we have here.

Seeing the immediate response of so many when the suggestion went up for a whip around is genuinely heartwarming. We may not be raising funds like GuardianCon for St. Judes, but we haevno less shown the generosity of the community - it is something we can all be proud of.

Cheers all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

7167ae6552bb62f8017274f5aee22b3ccbdc39cab409b70a3527161a723cb387.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Thanks everyone for your support over the past few days. Having your home broken into is a trying time at best and I'm sure I'll still be finding small odds and ends missing over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks to everyones generosity I was able to purchase a replacement PS4 on Wednesday, which I set up today. Now to wait for the slow process of psn to send all the required updates before I can arrive back at the tower.

Advertisement