Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there an area in Athlone that has a good Planning Permission rate?

Options
  • 01-02-2017 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I've been living in Galway for 3 years now and want to move somewhere more central to Dublin, might buy, rent or build would anyone suggest a good Architech or engineer? I heard rent is fairly good there and there are lovely restaurants and shops but was hoping to maybe buy and build on the outskirts.

Planning would be hard got I'd imagine or is there an area you are guaranteed planning?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I would suggest you rent somewhere around Athlone first to get your bearings before you build a house in an area you know nothing about.
    No need for an architect or engineer until you have a fair idea where you will be building or have a site...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

No such thing as good planning permission rate, if you want to build a house on a greenfield in almost all of the country, you will have to meet local need requirements.

For example in Offaly, this is from their development plan.........
    The following 3 criteria arise in assessing applicants under this category:
    The applicant must come within the definition of a ‘Local Rural Person’
    and the proposed site must be situated within their ‘Local Rural Area’ and the applicant must have a ‘Local Rural Housing Need’
    a)
    A ‘Local Rural Person’ (applicant) is a person who was born within the local rural area, or who is living or has lived in the local rural area for a minimum of 5 years at any stage prior to making the planning application. It includes returning emigrants seeking a permanent home in their local rural area.

b)
    The ‘Local Rural Area’ for the purpose of this policy is defined as the area generally within a 8km radius of where the applicant was born, living or has lived.
    The rural area excludes all urban settlements contained with Tiers 1, 2, 3 and 4 of the settlement hierarchy).

c)
    An applicant who satisfies a ‘Local Rural Housing Need’ is defined as a person who does not or has not ever owned a house in a rural area and has the need for a permanent dwelling for their own use.

Its going to be the same for all counties now. Best bet would be to rent and then see about buying, good few houses for sale on the outskirts of the town

Advertisement