Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Begin in Argentina or begin in Cuba... help!

Options
  • 01-02-2017 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Hey guys!
    I'm taking a year off to meander between Argentina and Cuba, commencing July 2017. I live in NZ and got an amazing deal to Buenos Aires one way for $300 but the more I read I to it the more I'm starting to wonder if I've done it the wrong way around. Any advice?

Essentially I'm very into outdoor activities and would like to get some good treks in but have i almost entirely ruled out the southern tip of Patagonia due to weather?

As much as I hail from Ireland, I'm not a huge fan of the cold - especially touching the freezing.

Main reason for booking SA before CA too was price, figured I'd get the more expensive counties out of the way first in a bid to better manage the $. I'm 32, female and will be taking roughly USD13,000 for 10 months.

Thanks in advance!

SM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

A flight from NZ to Arg for 300 sounds incredible like a dream!

That would get me thinking.

Have you checked access to Cuba from south America I imagine it is expensive

Have you looked into a multi stop flight for yourself, dates can be changed with them when you're in a multi ticket set of journeys.

I'd recommend Patagonia weather isn't massively extreme down there, not as bad as you'd expect.

Enjoy your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Thank you for your response ! 
    SO cheap right? I couldn't pass it :) It will cost me AT LEAST another NZD600+ to fly to Cuba, I’d essentially have to change my routing to Los Angeles and then buy a separate ticket to Cuba. Flights between Mexico and Cuba will be around $300USD which is fine.  I just wonder if its worth the additional cost if there is really nothing further south than BA that i will be able to see or do in July. 
     The plan is Argentina – Chile- Bolivia – Paraguay – Brazil – Peru – Ecuador – Colombia – Venezuela – Panama – Costa Rica – Nicaragua – Guatemala – Belize – Mexico – Cuba! Between 9 to 10 months of bumming around the Americas, working when I can however I can. If I can’t then that’s fine.

Have you been to Patagonia? If so, when did you go?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

supermouse wrote: »
    It will cost me AT LEAST another NZD600+ to fly to Cuba
    Keep an eye on Trump. Although there are direct flights to Cuba from North America now, there wasn't always, and Trump in power, keep a lose eye on American politics, as it may work out cheaper via Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

supermouse wrote: »

Have you been to Patagonia? If so, when did you go?

Yes was down there a couple of years ago

Flew down from BA to ushuaia

Spent some time there and then bussed about up to parts of southern Chile

It was the end of March time.
    I was surprised at how un freezing cold it was, you obviously have to wear warm clothes etc but I was expecting cold cold cold

I was buying thermal everything when I was in BA and Uruguay before I flew down to Patagonia

It sounds as if you have it in your mind to keep up the top half of south America, up to north America

That's a good chuck of the world.

Maybe keep Patagonia for another trip.

Whatever happens enjoy your trip, south America us a pretty special place.

Advertisement