Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walked out of a job to nothing, I'm so scared

Options
  • 01-02-2017 3:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I was working in a job that was making me absolutely miserable so I decided to leave.

At the time I thought it would be fine as there is generally a lot of temp work out there and I've picked some up quite quickly in the past, but it's been 2 weeks and I haven't gotten anything yet and now I'm starting to panic.

I have applied for a good few jobs but heard nothing back. I'm terrified now I won't find anything and am starting to go into a downward spiral of depression. I've started drinking at night just to try block out how depressed I feel and to help me sleep because I haven't been able to sleep at all. I'm alone in the house all day and feel completely isolated, I'm not used to not working and the uncertainty of it all is killing me.

I really don't know what to do and I feel like an absolute idiot for leaving a job with no plan, even though the job I was in was hell.

I'd really appreciate any advice at all, I feel completely and utterly lost right now. I know it was silly to walk out of a job with nothing else lined up so please don't be too harsh on me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Definitely no judgement here. I've been there.

Making a timetabled plan for the day is a good idea. Set time you get up, time set aside for looking for jobs, time set aside for physical activities, going to meet friends for coffee, food shopping, library visit etc.,

Fill your day with things that will be beneficial to you and will be constructive.

Physical exercise is great, allows you to focus on something. Could you volunteer in a charity shop a few days a week, I did it for a while and it kept me busy.

Drinking will only increase your anxiety, cutting it out for a trial period sounds like a good idea.

You've been able to find work before and are capable of getting work, you have experience that will stand to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

1. Stop drinking
    2. Get out for a walk / meet a friend / go for a coffee
    3. There are plenty of jobs out there so could you have someone look over your CV / Application letter.
    4. Have you signed up with any recruitment agencies?

It's only two weeks! Give yourself some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

What do you work at?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Duke77

The same happened to me in October. Walked out of a good job with a No.1 company in its sector. Just had a bad day.

I suffer with bad anxiety and also had a drinking problem in the past. I quit the drink and got counselling for the anxiety, which helps a lot. Having good friends and your family around is important too. Try to stay positive and active, you won't be long finding something new.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

I feel for you, I really do because I'm almost at the point of walking out of a job because it's starting to impact my mental health negatively.

I'd suggest maybe that you see your GP about feeling depressed and not sleeping. I've been the road you are on about drinking depression away, it is not a pleasant road to go down, and there's nothing good at the bottom of it, so getting yourself practical help is what you need to get for yourself. There's loads of decent websites on mental health such as A Lust for Life http://www.alustforlife.com/ which has some really good resources and great personal stories about mental health including what you're experiencing (there was a really good video about drinking too recently on their facebook page) and I think they have some great links to other useful sites too. http://www.yourmentalhealth.ie/ might be another useful one too.

It's awful being out of work, it can be very alienating but I would suggest getting yourself out there. Set yourself goals, as already suggested, put a timetable together for yourself, and keep to normal working hours so that you don't fall into bad lifestyle hours of going to bed late/getting up late because that is more demotivating than anything when you've less time in the day. Get out of the house when you can, if you're not into exercising, go to a local park or forest for a walk just to get yourself out of the house, have random chats with people, meet up with friends... basically make plans for yourself to keep yourself going, especially plans to meet up with friends at the weekend so you always have something to look forward to. Don't spend all day every day looking for a job, be strategic about it, give yourself a few hours in the day with goals in mind of getting that application done, conducting any follow up, researching another job etc. Make a list and prioritise, with the aim of getting it completed and then in the evening revise that list and make another with putting the stuff you didn't get completed at the top and adding to it (but make it achievable). Set deadlines for yourself and goals.

Since someone else mentioned volunteering, I'll add to it - I was looking at Volunteer Ireland just the other week for something in my spare time, might be worth having a look for volunteering in your area or by online. http://www.volunteer.ie/
    You could also look at what you can do in the community - you don't say where you are or male/female but look what's available to you locally e.g. Men's Shed if that applies, or for example in Cork city there's the community group ReImagine maybe there's something like that in your area you could get involved with while you are out of work?

To keep yourself motivated and busy, might be worth checking out any online courses you can do, e.g. Google's Digital Garage or Alison courses or some of those free MOOCs (free online education). I know you might be worried about money, so investing money in hobbies might not be a possibility, but worth engaging yourself in some that can be creative and engaging. I've found anything like colouring, painting and most recently air drying modelling clay have been brilliant for engaging me and de-stressing me while giving me something to do that isn't too expensive and just keeps me occupied as something different to do if I can't go anywhere and has certainly helped with battling depressive feelings and much more productive than drinking and has been my own form of self help.

Oh and probably the most important one..... talk. It can be the hardest thing when you know people are busy, but honestly tell friends and family what is going on, ask to meet for a coffee and a chat about stuff. If people knew how you are feeling and what you're experiencing they'd be there for you. If not, do not be afraid to talk to someone, anyone even if it's a phone call to the Samaritans about what you're experiencing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Mrs Woman

OP take some deep breaths, it has only been two weeks. I have walked out of a job myself and left a couple more with nothing to go to. It IS scary and traumatic and that's actually what you're feeling is a bit traumatised. You are definately going to get another job, there is no doubt about that.

Everything looks much worse than it is with no sleep and then pouring alcohol on that is a recipe for disaster. Be kind to yourself and give up drinking until you get a job. In the meantime try to enjoy a little time off as its not often we get these breaks from the working world and so they should be a time of rest and renewal.

Well done for leaving a job where you were in hell. Its the right thing to do. I've hung on till the bitter end in places I was msierable in and it didn't do my health or wellbeing any good at all. You did the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I walked out of a job to nothing as well. Today I have absolutely no regrets but it was tough at the time. I'll not beat around the bush here - being out of work made it harder for me to get a job. Harder but not impossible.

You've received plenty of very solid advice so I'm not going to repeat it. I just wanted to post to let you know there is light at the end of the tunnel. This is a blip, not something permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey, I did the same 4 years ago. I was really unhappy at work and in life in general and one day I just quit. No plan.

I spent about 2 months sitting in my apartment on my own in between bouts of panic applying for random jobs, didn't see anyone really and didn't eat right or exercise. This made everything worse and I got into a very bad place.

I decided to just up sticks and go travelling with the little money I had left once my lease expired. Best thing I ever did. Only away for about 6 weeks but I had time to think, reflect and figure out what had been going on.

Came back with no plan but eventually found a job in the UK and built up from there coming back to Ireland months later.

It was the best thing I ever did though a tough journey. It gave me time to understand why I did it , the wider issues I had and the resolve to fix things.

Don't worry OP. You'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Hey, I did the same 4 years ago. I was really unhappy at work and in life in general and one day I just quit. No plan.

I spent about 2 months sitting in my apartment on my own in between bouts of panic applying for random jobs, didn't see anyone really and didn't eat right or exercise. This made everything worse and I got into a very bad place.

I decided to just up sticks and go travelling with the little money I had left once my lease expired. Best thing I ever did. Only away for about 6 weeks but I had time to think, reflect and figure out what had been going on.

Came back with no plan but eventually found a job in the UK and built up from there coming back to Ireland months later.

It was the best thing I ever did though a tough journey. It gave me time to understand why I did it , the wider issues I had and the resolve to fix things.

Don't worry OP. You'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

I did the same. Just walked out one day had enough.

It took about 2/3 months to get a job which incidently paid me 20k more. No joke.

I loved my time off. Rather than worrying I took each day as it came. I started going for walks and going to the library and making nice lunches enjoying the fact I wasn't in that hell hole anymore. I didn't have a cent but I didn't care.

You need to chill. You left an environment that was horrible. You are brave. That is the person you are. Put down the drink. Get your cv sorted.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

Well done you you have great courage life is for living not just working and paying bills you will be fine we are all cowards staying in mind numbing jobs for the pay packet and the feeling of belonging to society and contributing our tax but it s a load of bollix. We are being sold a pup we are controlled and dont realise it . Working is the modern day slavery except all colours do it !
    Everything will be fine stop drinking look up all the things you can do for free in your area and do them also re educate yourself using the internets loads of lectures on there and academy's offering to upgrade your skills . Learn a new language use Babbel do something small and achieve it. Do a bit of volunteer work and you will feel much more appreciated than you ever did in your job. all the best .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

I just did it too OP, hated my job, felt the vibe of the place was completely at odds with my personality and I was bored to tears most days. This was a job that seemed great on paper but you have to listen to your own true feelings and trust yourself that you did the right thing.

I get a little nervous too about finding something else, but a few months or a year from now, all of this will seem trivial. Think of this in the grand scheme of things, it's a blip, nothing more.

I often think, would I prefer to still be going into that office every day, my soul slowly dying? The answer is always HELL NO. :D

Advertisement