Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topo Maps for Garmin GPS

Options
  • 31-01-2017 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

hello everyone.

I just found out that Garmin Eire discoverer is discontinued.

So what's the most detailed topo map available for Ireland at the moment?

Garmin UK Ireland topo light looks basic. then there is TalkyToaster map for uk and Ireland.

My device come with 1 year Birdseye subscription and already tested them. is there any other map this is similar to OSI standard?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Great nick :)

Probably not what you want to hear, but I think a robust Android device with Viewranger is the new best device for Irish hikers. Don't know what good Garmin will be without proper OSi maps.

The problem with all the other Garmin maps (as far as I'm aware) is that contours are based on the SRTM data and not the lower level OSi mapping, which may cause significant errors around steep ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's not just Eire Discoverer, the OSNI maps of Northern Ireland have been discontinued too. I emailed Garmin to inquire as to the reason, but just got a canned reply stating something about declining sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭finbarrrr

I use the paid version of TalkyToaster which I find grand in the Wicklow Mountains. I know the mountains pretty well so I know if the ground is steeper then indicated. Using same maps in parts of Kerry could be an issue.

Ultimately it would be nice to have the new 1:25,000 East-West maps on Garmin but that isn't going to happen due to the licencing costs for East West.

Can anyone tell of there is a difference in detail(quality) between the latest TOPO maps and Talky Toaster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

can you take a screen grab of the toaster maps , the eire discover wghich I have on my garmin are basically the osi maps so perfect quality

Advertisement