Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog in a boot

Options
  • 31-01-2017 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I work in the public service. I have a colleague who a few days a week, when his wife is working, is bringing his dog to work and leaving him in the boot for the day. He takes the dog out on his breaks for a few minutes (twice in the day, sometimes for a little as 5 minutes, sometimes for a walk). I have a dog and wouldn't dream of doing that but am wondering maybe it's me that is over reacting thinking this is cruel as a couple of people I work with seemed nonplussed by his action. Am I wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Is the boot open or closed? For example in my old car, I'd sometimes put my dog in the boot if he was dirty but it wasn't closed in, he could pop his head over the back seat or look out the back window.

Does the dog have access to water?

Does your coworker have a reason to do this with the dog? What's he trying to achieve?

How is the dog getting fresh air? Does he leave a window open?

It seems like a very strange situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 beaugester

Is the boot open or closed? For example in my old car, I'd sometimes put my dog in the boot if he was dirty but it wasn't closed in, he could pop his head over the back seat or look out the back window.

Does your coworker have a reason to do this with the dog? What's he trying to achieve?

He brings the dog in some days when his wife is working. I'm not sure how many but it's at least 2 days per week.

It's a closed boot. He takes it out twice a day. It is strange, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that.

beaugester wrote: »
    He brings the dog in some days when his wife is working. I'm not sure how many but it's at least 2 days per week.

It's a closed boot. He takes it out twice a day. It is strange, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that.

That's not just strange but in my opinion totally unacceptable treatment of an animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Please report them.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭carolinej

So the dog is locked in a boot & he can't see anything. IMO I think this is cruel. I wouldn't even put my dog in the boot to bring him to the beach for a walk, never mind lock him in it for the best part of the day.
    Why can't he leave the dog confined to a room at home. Be much better for the dog than a car boot.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Very strange. I do have a lady who comes in to help when we're really busy who has her dogs in the car but the windows are wide open and it's a couple of hours at most.

Some dogs love being in the car as long as they can look out etc.

When you say a closed boot do you mean a saloon car?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

A work colleague of mine years ago used to do this - they had two dogs and used to put them into the boot (of a saloon, not a hatchback or estate) to bring them somewhere for walks.

Have to say I thought it was horrible, and would never dream of doing it myself - never mind leaving them there all day :eek: - but the dogs leapt in of their own accord so clearly weren't too traumatised by the experience!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    A work colleague of mine years ago used to do this - they had two dogs and used to put them into the boot (of a saloon, not a hatchback or estate) to bring them somewhere for walks.

Have to say I thought it was horrible, and would never dream of doing it myself - never mind leaving them there all day :eek: - but the dogs leapt in of their own accord so clearly weren't too traumatised by the experience!

Ah there's a difference between bringing a dog somewhere and leaving them in the boot all day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

pilly wrote: »
    Ah there's a difference between bringing a dog somewhere and leaving them in the boot all day though.
    Agreed.

But to shut them in a completely dark boot and then drive somewhere seems wrong to me as well!

Buy a rug for the back seat, ffs! (or a hatchback)

Agreed.

But to shut them in a completely dark boot and then drive somewhere seems wrong to me as well!

Yeah, I agree but jesus I've had some cars destroyed by dogs hairs, blanket or no blanket, I've learned to buy hatchbacks. But some people have company cars that they wouldn't be allowed to put a dog into.

• Advertisement

beaugester wrote: »

Ah if it's a closed saloon boot that's pure cruelty. Poor dog would be much better off at home on his own than in a stuffy boot all day. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

In the summer, think what will happen. The dog will suffocate in the heat. Call the DSPCA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

I can't believe what I'm reading - so this dog is effectively shut in a dark, confined space all day long? With no light at all and no room to stand up?
    When you first said the boot of the car I imagined an open boot where he was looking out the window and could see over the back seat.

This has upset me to read - can you please do something?
    It's not right, it's bloody cruel.

If you don't feel comfortable speaking to your colleague then please call the DSPCA and anonymously report it. But make sure it's reported as urgent or it could be weeks before they come out.

If the dog is getting very limited exercise all day too could you offer to walk him on your own break so he's getting out a bit more? I know it's not your problem but you're in a position to help so if you're free to do it I'm sure the dog will be very appreciative!

ETA - Another idea is maybe type out a note saying exactly how cruel he is being and that he has been reported to the DSPCA and leave it on his windscreen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Agreed.

Not condoning leaving a dog in a boot all day long, but we have two cars - an estate type and a saloon.

Our dog actually gets quite agitated and upset if travelling in the back of the estate and able to see out, whereas if she's in the boot of the saloon she's calm and content. Wouldn't go more than about 30 minutes with her in there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Are you sure it is a closed boot and that this person doesnt have the cover off the boot..

If it is an enclosed boot I would think it is a little iffy and would not fancy it, but if not then there is nothing wrong with it.. All pending on the dog breed etc like you would not stick a St Bernard in such a small space! I always bring our dog with us when i go for spins and she just loves the company more than anything, in my car fine she is in the front seat (only because the boot is too small) but in himselfs car she has an open to boot and will stay there happy out...

Spins can be just a spin to the shop, or spins to family where she would not get on with other dogs so she sits in the car... Same with going for trips

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

What would happen if there was an emergency of some sort and say, for example, the owner was taken away by ambulance, how long would the dog be left in there before someone realised or before someone could get the dog out? Or during warm weather and the dog is stuck in a hot car? Or if some unscrupulous person walking by the car decided to take the dog?
    To me, on the face of what has been said, it doesn't seem to be a well thought out plan or fair on the dog. It might be worth a call to the SPCA and outline what you've witnessed and see what they think.

Since this person knows the dog is in the car, there is one of your what if's sorted..
    What if there was a hot day unexpectedly in Ireland, mmm lets think about the chances of that happening..

Thats a lot of what if's... Heres one before doning anything OP What If you actually spoke to your colleague and asked him or voiced your concerns, might actually work and help ease your concerns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

What's the best stance now on taking the dog with you in the car when going to the shops for example? She'd be in the car itself with the window down a crack and only left alone for around 10/15 minutes max. At the moment I only bring her for the spin if I know I'm only going to buy a pint of milk or something that will take a few seconds, but she loves coming and I'd bring her rather than leave her at home but I hate the thoughts of leaving her in the car.

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    I can't believe what I'm reading - so this dog is effectively shut in a dark, confined space all day long? With no light at all and no room to stand up?
    When you first said the boot of the car I imagined an open boot where he was looking out the window and could see over the back seat.

This has upset me to read - can you please do something?
    It's not right, it's bloody cruel.

If you don't feel comfortable speaking to your colleague then please call the DSPCA and anonymously report it. But make sure it's reported as urgent or it could be weeks before they come out.

If the dog is getting very limited exercise all day too could you offer to walk him on your own break so he's getting out a bit more? I know it's not your problem but you're in a position to help so if you're free to do it I'm sure the dog will be very appreciative!

ETA - Another idea is maybe type out a note saying exactly how cruel he is being and that he has been reported to the DSPCA and leave it on his windscreen.
    I was thinking of the same thing. I will put a note on his windscreen to that effect. It's a saloon car and the dog is 16 weeks old. This has been going on since before Christmas...I wasn't aware of that until today when talking to somebody else who works with him.

• Advertisement

Just ask him OP! What is the point in delaying things by leaving a sticker on the window, that would solve nothing..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Did we not have this exact situation posted before? Maybe last year? It's definitely ringing major bells for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Did we not have this exact situation posted before? Maybe last year? It's definitely ringing major bells for me.

Yeah that was in the summer months so more of a risk leaving a dog in a hot car- http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057623949

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

don't leave this matter, Report him, Now.:mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Milly33 wrote: »
    Since this person knows the dog is in the car, there is one of your what if's sorted..
    What if there was a hot day unexpectedly in Ireland, mmm lets think about the chances of that happening..

Thats a lot of what if's... Heres one before doning anything OP What If you actually spoke to your colleague and asked him or voiced your concerns, might actually work and help ease your concerns

Milly33, the tone of this post is a bit unnecessarily sarky. Please dial it in.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

I don't understand how the dog in the boot is better than being at home?

It's cruel and ridiculous.

Advertisement