Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Truck and Motorshow

Options
  • 31-01-2017 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

This show has relocated to the hub in Kilkenny due to an issue with Waterford Council, this was a bumper weekend for business in Tramore last year, absolute madness letting it relocate without a fight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

This show has relocated to the hub in Kilkenny due to an issue with Waterford Council, this was a bumper weekend for business in Tramore last year, absolute madness letting it relocate without a fight.

was was the issue with Waterford CC??

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

Nothing new here lads. If this was the launching of a book or the unveiling of a picture by some tree hugger then the council would be all over it, especially for the cheese and wine reception and the photo opportunity. But it was not just the council that didn't help last year. There was grief from other quarters too mainly the amusement park operators.

This is shame that the lads, 3 Waterford lads behind this show felt they had no option but to take the show to Kilkenny. I have no doubt they will receive a warmer welcome up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Was this held in the airport a few times?

The News and Star report that it was canceled until the hub gave them a good offer on holding the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Can't imagine the Hub being great, it's quite a small site for 100's of truck etc- they must have a neighbouring field as well??
    Where in Tramore had it been, the race course?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Nothing new here lads. If this was the launching of a book or the unveiling of a picture by some tree hugger then the council would be all over it, especially for the cheese and wine reception and the photo opportunity. But it was not just the council that didn't help last year. There was grief from other quarters too mainly the amusement park operators.
    This is shame that the lads, 3 Waterford lads behind this show felt they had no option but to take the show to Kilkenny. I have no doubt they will receive a warmer welcome up there.

I don't know but Maybe they had got some funding/some support from council but in light of increased pressure on festival budget, maybe that was cut. for one thing,I'm guessing if we had a better property tax payment rate, our festival budget would be better.Only a guess, the compliance rate might be 100% for all I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭azimuth17

The festival figures,council spend on arts were published on Facebook by Mary Roche I think. Waterford and Kilkenny spend about the same on arts/festivals (Waterford slightly ahead by a couple of hundred grand). Waterford round €1.5 m per annum. If memory serves, Waterford spent €1 m of its own money and got grants of the rest. Kilkenny spent €250,000 of its own and got grants of the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

azimuth17 wrote: »
    The festival figures,council spend on arts were published on Facebook by Mary Roche I think. Waterford and Kilkenny spend about the same on arts/festivals (Waterford slightly ahead by a couple of hundred grand). Waterford round €1.5 m per annum. If memory serves, Waterford spent €1 m of its own money and got grants of the rest. Kilkenny spent €250,000 of its own and got grants of the rest.

How is that really relevant? Does everything have to be a Waterford vs Kilkenny thing (not surprising when I hear Cllr Mary Roche, the woman has an obsession)?
    Why not compare funding in say Galway? If Waterford aren't drawing down the funding then perhaps it's something they need to address and work on?
    Is a Truck Show something a public body even funds (which sounds a bit crazy to me).

Sorry you don't like the post High-Road. I thought it was inferred above that the issue had something to do with easier access to festival event funding in Kilkenny. I posted the opinion because Mary Roche had published details of festival funding (and Galway outstrips us all) which I thought to be relevant to the current matter where had an event had moved, for festival/event funding reasons from Waterford to Kilkenny. The suggestion that Waterford is somehow "not drawing down the funding" is a bit gratuitous. The problem is getting it, for one reason or another. It would be drawn down if it was allocated in my humble opinion.

The arts council funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I thought the airport business park was the perfect location, easily accessable and available for the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

You have your facts wrong. There was no issues with WCCC, in fact the Council had committed to giving the event substantial financial and logistical support.

The event is moving for reasons beyond money, its a case of the best site for the smallest amount of money. There simply is no where within Co Waterford that is enclosed with the facilities the Hub have to offer and by going there the event costs are substantially lessened.

I am sorry to see the truck show moving, but it is a private event and has the right to go to the best location it can and i wish them well.

I would add that the businesses in Tramore had there chance to invest in the truck show and decided not to.

i heard on the grapevine... that WCC had at the last year agreed to cover some costs in relation to funding... and after the event they refused to pony up the money

also rumor has it that they moved from the airport business park to Tramore to suit WCC not themselves.. and it isnt an ideal location...

so in light of the money differences and the location Kilkenny swooped in and and pinched the event

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

robtri wrote: »
    i heard on the grapevine... that WCC had at the last year agreed to cover some costs in relation to funding... and after the event they refused to pony up the money

also rumor has it that they moved from the airport business park to Tramore to suit WCC not themselves.. and it isnt an ideal location...

so in light of the money differences and the location Kilkenny swooped in and and pinched the event

Rumour and the grape vine.....I'd imagine like most things money might have something to do with it.Wouldn't put much stock in anything else.

Money, i'd imagine although the HUB is not altogether ideal, as it can sometimes reek of cattle dung, which I found a bit disconcerting when I was last there.. Was suggested that the North Wharf or south Quays would have been suitable, wonder were they explored?

invalid wrote: »
    You have your facts wrong. There was no issues with WCCC, in fact the Council had committed to giving the event substantial financial and logistical support.

The event is moving for reasons beyond money, its a case of the best site for the smallest amount of money. There simply is no where within Co Waterford that is enclosed with the facilities the Hub have to offer and by going there the event costs are substantially lessened.

I am sorry to see the truck show moving, but it is a private event and has the right to go to the best location it can and i wish them well.

I would add that the businesses in Tramore had there chance to invest in the truck show and decided not to.

And your facts are based on what knowledge please? Not having a go...just asking where your facts are stemming from please?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

And your facts are based on what knowledge please? Not having a go...just asking where your facts are stemming from please?

I know all the people dealing with the event this year, both council and event organisers.

FYI, running the event in the Airport and Tramore cost significant amounts as there is no existing event infrastructure at either locations, you need to bring in generators, fencing, security, lighting etc at significant hire cost, whereas the Hub is designed to run events and has a great deal of the required infrastructure already in place.

Were the Quays in Waterford considered at all? North or South? Or was the new WIT arena considered? Seems a terrible loss to Waterford to me. Am happy to see that council were supportive, but leaving after several very successful years looks like the wrong thing to do.

invalid wrote: »
    I know all the people dealing with the event this year, both council and event organisers.

FYI, running the event in the Airport and Tramore cost significant amounts as there is no existing event infrastructure at either locations, you need to bring in generators, fencing, security, lighting etc at significant hire cost, whereas the Hub is designed to run events and has a great deal of the required infrastructure already in place.

so did WCC and the event organisers have an issue with payments promised for last years show in lieu of moving to tramore? i.e they didnt pay the organizers agreed cost reimbursement

Sorry Robtri, I don't quite understand what you mean? Did Council not pay what they were supposed to pay?

azimuth17 wrote: »
    Sorry Robtri, I don't quite understand what you mean? Did Council not pay what they were supposed to pay?

thats exactly what I am asking... as said the rumor.. and i do stress rumor on this is that the organizers moved to Tramore (seemingly they didnt want too) from a request from WCC and in return WCC would cover some costs towards the running of the show. and at the end of the show WCC reneged on their promise and did pay up...

• Advertisement

I took the time last night to contact one of them to find out why the organisers felt they had no option but to move the show to Kilkenny.

I have been a sponsor of services to the show for the past few years So I felt ok asking the same question that I now know the answer to. Its a pity now but it seems that the popularity of the show has now become its greatest challenge at the moment.

I took this from the show facebook page just now

https://www.facebook.com/WaterfordTruckandMotorShow/photos/p.1913765995513599/1913765995513599/?type=3&theater

Its a real shame but I do know that lads are very hopeful that they will bring the show back to Waterford again next year. I wish them well!

Advertisement