Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy biting

Options
  • 31-01-2017 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

4 month old Amstaff loves play biting , I keep replacing my hands and feet with toys and teething chew toys but she is starting to get rough and not know when to stop! She's strong and so is her nipping but she isnt getting any commands to stop, time outs work but when back in shes right back to it! I presume this is normal but its driving me mad :confused: Is this just a phase or should I be worried

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It's normal! :D How are you doing the time outs - you want the least amount of fuss as possible because anything you say or do is giving her the attention she's wants lol! Have you tried attaching a house line/piece of ribbon/light lead etc to her - under supervision of course i.e. don't leave it on when you're not keeping an eye on her - and then you can give her one warning - ah-ah, enough or whatever you say and then if it happens again lead her out without any fuss. Then repeat repeat repeat. If there's more than one person in the house you need to make sure everyone is doing the same thing so it's consistent!

Pics? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

tk123 wrote: »
    It's normal! :D How are you doing the time outs - you want the least amount of fuss as possible because anything you say or do is giving her the attention she's wants lol! Have you tried attaching a house line/piece of ribbon/light lead etc to her - under supervision of course i.e. don't leave it on when you're not keeping an eye on her - and then you can give her one warning - ah-ah, enough or whatever you say and then if it happens again lead her out without any fuss. Then repeat repeat repeat. If there's more than one person in the house you need to make sure everyone is doing the same thing so it's consistent!

Pics? :)

Its getting hard to handle, iv got training booked in soon locally, hopefully that helps with a few things!

I havent a clue how to upload pics on this thing haha

photo.php?fbid=10154294794074786&set=a.474802499785.255276.599604785&type=3&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Our pittie used to get bitey when we'd play with her, she'd never bite down, moreso grab with her mouth and let go.
    We were a bit worried too as obviously it's something you want to nip in the bud. What we done was if she nipped us we'd shout NO! fold our arms and turn our backs.
    She craves attention so she would get the message. Also if she was too hyped up we'd shout No! Eyeball her while looking stern and maintain eye contact taking the energy out of the situation until she got the hangdog look. We did this every single time and slowly she got the msg.
    Now her bite inhibition is so good that when me or the Mrs come home she'll hold our hand in her mouth to say hello or even pull us over to her basket and it's so gentle there's no danger of it even being uncomfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Our pittie used to get bitey when we'd play with her, she'd never bite down, moreso grab with her mouth and let go.
    We were a bit worried too as obviously it's something you want to nip in the bud. What we done was if she nipped us we'd shout NO! fold our arms and turn our backs.
    She craves attention so she would get the message. Also if she was too hyped up we'd shout No! Eyeball her while looking stern and maintain eye contact taking the energy out of the situation until she got the hangdog look. We did this every single time and slowly she got the msg.
    Now her bite inhibition is so good that when me or the Mrs come home she'll hold our hand in her mouth to say hello or even pull us over to her basket and it's so gentle there's no danger of it even being uncomfortable

Theres a pitbull that comes to visit us at our charity shop - we have treats for our dog visitors - he takes my hand in his mouth, and 'brings' me to the closet for a treat - takes it out of my hand slllooooooowwwwwwwwwwwllllllyyyyyy and so gently :) He is massively muscled and so broad, but the gentlest dog Ive ever met.

Advertisement