Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather Forecasting Help

Options
  • 31-01-2017 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi I am a 4th year computer science student and for my 4th year project I am building a weather station using an Arduino Uno.

At the moment I am recording temperature, humidity and barometric pressure but I would like to add some sort of weather forecasting to the project. From research I have found that I can make an attempt at predicting if it will rain soon from the data I am currently recording. I am just wondering is there any other weather predictions I can make from this data.

I am planning on adding wind speed, direction and a rain sensor to this set up in the future. Would this data be of any use to make some sort of additional weather forecasting?

Finally is previous temperature data an indication of how temperature may behave in the future? What I mean by this is, if the previous years data shows that the temperature in the first week of April is on average between 7-10 degrees but in the second week of April on average the temperature drops by 3 degrees, is this a good indication of how the temperature may behave the following April?

Thanks for any help or feed back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

crazy eyes wrote: »
    Hi I am a 4th year computer science student and for my 4th year project I am building a weather station using an Arduino Uno.

At the moment I am recording temperature, humidity and barometric pressure but I would like to add some sort of weather forecasting to the project. From research I have found that I can make an attempt at predicting if it will rain soon from the data I am currently recording. I am just wondering is there any other weather predictions I can make from this data.

I am planning on adding wind speed, direction and a rain sensor to this set up in the future. Would this data be of any use to make some sort of additional weather forecasting?

Finally is previous temperature data an indication of how temperature may behave in the future? What I mean by this is, if the previous years data shows that the temperature in the first week of April is on average between 7-10 degrees but in the second week of April on average the temperature drops by 3 degrees, is this a good indication of how the temperature may behave the following April?

Thanks for any help or feed back.

Interesting project, hope it goes well for you.

Of what I can tell though is your probably only gonna be able to make, as mentioned, a short term prediction. Basically runs off the basis of sudden changes in pressure and humidity and the likes. Eg, sudden drop in pressure and increase in humidity is a sign of a front approaching.

On the line of your temperature predictions, that would be alot more complex. You would be more so giving a statistical likelihood of a temp being within a certain range, using say a standard deviation range.

Dont think I can of much more help.

What college are you based in? I'd recommend getting into touch with UCD's Dr Conor Sweeney, a great guy. Helped me for parts of my Chaos Theory project. His background is computational modelling so should be able to give you a definite answer on what you can do.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Iancar29 wrote:
    What college are you based in? I'd recommend getting into touch with UCD's Dr Conor Sweeney, a great guy. Helped me for parts of my Chaos Theory project. His background is computational modelling so should be able to give you a definite answer on what you can do.

Have an interest in chaos(complexity theory), any recommendations for research?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Have an interest in chaos(complexity theory), any recommendations for research?

Its quite a fascinating subject area. Here are the 3 main sources that I used while researching for my project. Easy enough to understand, nothing too technical.

[1] Steven H. Strogatz- Nonlinear dynamics and chaos Westview Press 2015

[2] Edward Lorenz -Deterministic Nonperiodic Flow, Journal of Atmospheric Sciences, 1962

[3] Robert Devaney - An Intro. To Chaotic Dynamical Systems - Westview Press 2008

Advertisement