Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking Paracetamol before having filling done at Dentist?

Options
  • 31-01-2017 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,777 ✭✭✭✭

does having Paracetamol affect anything before having a toot filled if i took it half hour before the filling? - would it effect the Novocaine or whatever it is they use to numb the gum/tooth?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

I know this may be seem silly but this constitutes medical advice and we are not allowed to give medical advice on this forum. Importantly, we don't know OP's medical history. OP you should ask your dentist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 marrydavis

I don't know about this, but i have also ask same question. Can anyone give me advise about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Paracetamol thins the blood so if you get any bleeding it will make it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,195 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's aspirin that thins the blood, not paracetemol.

Parecetemol won't interfere with the effectiveness of the local anaesthetic that your dentist would give you. But nor would it have any significant painkilling benefits in terms of addressing the discomfort of the drilling.

After the filling, when the nococaine wears off, at that point you might benefit a little from taking a couple of paracetemol. I wouldn't take any beforehand, since you would then be advised not to take any more for four hours, and the novocaine would be wearing off well within that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Op don't listen to any of the previous posters here. Ring your dentist instead.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,777 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

change of plan now, what I thought was to be a plain ol' filling turned out that the tooth needed root canal treatment or pulled - I am going for pulled even though my dentist was doing a very good price for RCT at 399eur (another dentist quoted me 650eur) - getting it pulled on wednesday.

Advertisement