Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worms in vomit

Options
  • 31-01-2017 7:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

Brendan got sick once early this morning. There were a number of worms in it, roughly an inch long and white (roundworm I presume). He's in generally good form and eating and drinking well. Admittedly, we had not been up to date with worming.
    Do we need to go to the vets or is it a matter of starting worming now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Yuk!
    worms in vomit I believe is usually roundworms?
    Collect a suitable wormer from your vet asap and get him sorted

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

aonb wrote: »
    Yuk!
    worms in vomit I believe is usually roundworms?
    Collect a suitable wormer from your vet asap and get him sorted

Also, discuss with your vet the worming regime you're going to need to follow over the coming months. With a heavy burden like your dog has if he's vomiting up worms, there is going to be another wave of worms in the coming weeks.
    I can't remember if your dog is a pup or not, but particularly if he's a pup, just make sure your vet knows that the dog has vomited up worms... The vet may advise worming him gently over a few days, rather than killing them all off in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

We went to the vet yesterday, (think we will be rethinking our vet though) but we got drops for the back of this neck, they say he will be grand, I'll keep an eye on him over the next few weeks to make sure he's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

hairyslug wrote: »
    We went to the vet yesterday, (think we will be rethinking our vet though) but we got drops for the back of this neck, they say he will be grand, I'll keep an eye on him over the next few weeks to make sure he's ok.

No worming tablets? :confused:

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I use ADVOCATE pipettes on the 'scruff' - its a pretty comprehensive wormer. it also provides flea and mite control.

You should schedule his next dose in a timely manner now.

• Advertisement

VonVix wrote: »
    No worming tablets? :confused:

Assuming it was Advocate :)

Advocate will sort out the roundworm OP, but it doesn't treat for tapeworm, so be aware that you might consider one that'll hit tapeworm too the next time you're worming him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

DBB wrote: »
    Assuming it was Advocate :)

Advocate will sort out the roundworm OP, but it doesn't treat for tapeworm, so be aware that you might consider one that'll hit tapeworm too the next time you're worming him :)

Ahhhh, I have never been given Advocate specifically, always thought back-of-the-neck-type treatments were flea/tick only. :o

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Did the vet not tell you when to worm him again? I personally would be worming him again in a couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭mistybluehills

Brendan got sick once early this morning. There were a number of worms in it, roughly an inch long and white (roundworm I presume). He's in generally good form and eating and drinking well. Admittedly, we had not been up to date with worming.
    Do we need to go to the vets or is it a matter of starting worming now.

A perfectly normal finding, if Brendan is a puppy.
    Follow a working program, make sure you also collect and dispose of any faeces- both his and other dogs if there are any, to avoid contaminating his environment.
    You will probably find the appetite reduced once he's wormed thoroughly. Worry pups can be quite hungry.
    Vet visit probably not needed, but if any doubt go, it's peace of mind if nothing else.
    And wash your hands, and those of any little kiddies in particular, that come in contact with Brenadan or his poop. Some parasites can spread from dogs to people if precautions aren't taken

A perfectly normal finding, if Brendan is a puppy.
    Follow a working program, make sure you also collect and dispose of any faeces- both his and other dogs if there are any, to avoid contaminating his environment.
    You will probably find the appetite reduced once he's wormed thoroughly. Worry pups can be quite hungry.
    Vet visit probably not needed, but if any doubt go, it's peace of mind if nothing else.
    And wash your hands, and those of any little kiddies in particular, that come in contact with Brenadan or his poop. Some parasites can spread from dogs to people if precautions aren't taken

I meant "worming", not "working"!

• Advertisement

Not really perfectly normal. I would expect any 8 - 10 week old puppies that I send to new homes not to be vomiting up worms. That sounds like a heavy worm burden & no excuse for it with proper worming from 2 weeks old.

Knine wrote: »
    Not really perfectly normal. I would expect any 8 - 10 week old puppies that I send to new homes not to be vomiting up worms. That sounds like a heavy worm burden & no excuse for it with proper worming from 2 weeks old.

It can happen, disease is as normal a state as health. These things happen !!
    Perfectly normal for pups to have worms and to vomit them up- dogs vomit easily, any sort of mild gastric irritant can trigger it.
    The main point is that the problem can be sorted, and sorted well, following appropriate advice on worming.
    No point in unduly worrying Brendans owner!
    any major concerns about young Brendan, a vet visit is the thing to do.
    But here's hoping he'll be ok ☺

Vomiting worms usually means a heavy worm burden & in my opinion there is no excuse for it. An exception of course is from rescue puppies or puppy farms etc. A reputable breeder would be worming puppies ftom 2 weeks old, every 2 weeks. So no it is not normal. At least not with any of my puppies.

I think Brendan is about 11 months old.
    I too would be concerned about a dog that had such a worm burden that he was vomiting them up... it's not a normal part of the roundworm lifecycle.
    Moreover, if Brendan was a young pup, and his owner took on to sort out such a heavy worm burden themselves, they could kill the pup. It has happened, I know of a number of pups who have died because their heavy worm burden was killed in one go... the dead worms stayed in the intestines due to the ball of them being too massive for the pup to shift naturally, and they essentially poisoned the pups.
    For an uninitiated owner of a young puppy with a heavy worm burden, it is really important that they seek veterinary advice so that they bring the worm burden under control gradually.

A muddled description of an intussuception☺
    There's really no need to scare pet owners regarding worms with these sorts of stories.
    Appropriate worming on advice from the vet will sort,
    And here's to hoping pet owners will seek and follow that advice

Unfortunately they are not stories. Heavy worm burdens in young puppies can be very serious, not to mention the fact of the dangers to children. Worming medications are also fairly harsh on an already compromised puppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Bloody hell OP I'd puke myself at the worm puke!

Time to get our worm counts done after reading this lol(!)

We've never had worms here even when they were puppies and every count has been clear in 3 years.... So I wouldn't class worms in puke as normal or an everyday thing.

tk123 wrote: »
    Bloody hell OP I'd puke myself at the worm puke!

Time to get our worm counts done after reading this lol(!)

We've never had worms here even when they were puppies and every count has been clear in 3 years.... So I wouldn't class worms in puke as normal or an everyday thing.

An animal needs a certain level of exposure to parasites in order to develop an appropriate immune response.
    Total elimination of the challenge should not be the aim at all
    Of course a heavy burden of worms is another matter
    But a few worms may indeed be beneficial,

An animal needs a certain level of exposure to parasites in order to develop an appropriate immune response.
    Total elimination of the challenge should not be the aim at all
    Of course a heavy burden of worms is another matter
    But a few worms may indeed be beneficial,

The OPs dog does have a heavy burden though - he's puking up worms..

The OPs dog does have a heavy burden though - he's puking up worms..

Indeed he is.
    Poor oul Brendan.
    Get well soon pal ☺

Indeed he is.
    Poor oul Brendan.
    Get well soon pal ☺

Well I always like to put my Dogs First & I would hate to think that poor oul Brendan had even one worm so I would definitely bring him back to the Doctor/ Vet next month!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Between now and when we go back to the vets, is there anything I should be looking for, he's in good form, no vomiting or worms in his poo.

Also, everywhere I read, said that once there is worms, they should get a dewormer and then followed up with a 2nd dose 5/6 weeks later, our vet has said however to just deworm in 3 months.

Between now and when we go back to the vets, is there anything I should be looking for, he's in good form, no vomiting or worms in his poo.

Also, everywhere I read, said that once there is worms, they should get a dewormer and then followed up with a 2nd dose 5/6 weeks later, our vet has said however to just deworm in 3 months.

If Brendan is 11 months old, all other things being equal, worms are not going to cause him a significant problem.
    I would follow your vets recommendations in this regard. The quality of advice available from other sources may not be trustworthy.
    Good luck with it, and nice name for a dog too btw ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Paullimerick

Get a milbamax tablet for your dog. The right one of coarse for the right weight. Definitely the best for every worm out there. Been using for years now and they are the best.

I would worm him again next mth & the mth after. No way would I wait 3 mths.

Knine wrote: »
    I would worm him again next mth & the mth after. No way would I wait 3 mths.

Out of interest what wormer would be best for a heavy burden in your experience? Anyone I know who only worms when the dog actually has worms uses Pancur as it's meant to be the least harsh?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭RD10

best thing is to get vets advice on wat to give and how often

Out of interest what wormer would be best for a heavy burden in your experience? Anyone I know who only worms when the dog actually has worms uses Pancur as it's meant to be the least harsh?

It depends on the dog size & age. I use a combination of wormers - millbemax, Panacur, Drontal, Parazole, Endogard. I have found Drontal to be quite harsh on puppies. I normally give them Parazole at 2 weeks & then alternate with Drontal but my puppies would not have large worm burdens. If it is an already compromised puppy such as a rescue with a large burden I find the Parazole less harsh on little tummies.

For the adults I buy my supplies from the Vet Chemist at Crufts. I am using Endogard at the moment.

RD10 wrote: »
    best thing is to get vets advice on wat to give and how often

Most sensible comment I've read on this matter☺

Most sensible comment I've read on this matter☺

You can say that again
    A Vet visit probably not needed

• Advertisement

You can say that again[/quot