Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

52 Years 39 Days - Ron Hill Ends his Streak

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I guarantee there's someone telling Ron "told you all that running was bad for you"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Suppose it's allowed after all that time. :) He must be late 70's now - impressive streak and to think of the reasons why I'd often drop a training session...what a lazy bitch I am. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Bloody hell, I thought he was gone to that great athletics stadium in the sky. Hopefully he'll be out again next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Suppose it's allowed after all that time. :) He must be late 70's now - impressive streak and to think of the reasons why I'd often drop a training session...what a lazy bitch I am. :)

I am glad you said it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Undoubtedly one of the most impressive records in world athletics....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

He is 78 years old and previously held world records for 10 miles (twice), 15 miles and 25km (beating Emil Zatopek's record). He won the Boston marathon - beating the course record by three minutes, and was the second man ever to break 2:10 for the marathon (a disputed world record). He kept his streak going through car-crashes, surgery on his foot and numerous illnesses. I think we can allow him a sneaky day off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

He is 78 years old and previously held world records for 10 miles (twice), 15 miles and 25km (beating Emil Zatopek's record). He won the Boston marathon - beating the course record by three minutes, and was the second man ever to break 2:10 for the marathon (a disputed world record). He kept his streak going through car-crashes, surgery on his foot and numerous illnesses. I think we can allow him a sneaky day off.

Just to clarify for people, it was the other guys time which was disputed and not Ron Hills time. Although the other guy did have a recognised sub 2:10 first, just that his second faster sub 2:10 was on a short course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Run in the am, car crash in the avo then back out the following morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Is there an element of urban myth to this?

He's some man but 52 years without missing a day, a single day?

He obviously never flew to Australia :)

TbL

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

TbL

You do have to stretch your definition of "run" quite a bit to include hopping around a running track on crutches, but despite that it's quite impressive.

As for flying to Australia, that's no problem unless he took a flight from the west coast of the US to get there and hadn't timed the flights correctly with getting a run in before and directly after the flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

robinph wrote: »
    You do have to stretch your definition of "run" quite a bit to include hopping around a running track on crutches, but despite that it's quite impressive.

As for flying to Australia, that's no problem unless he took a flight from the west coast of the US to get there and hadn't timed the flights correctly with getting a run in before and directly after the flight.

There is a story of him running around an airport after a delayed flight connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    There is a story of him running around an airport after a delayed flight connection.

Sure I've done that myself :)

What qualified as a run?

TbL

TbL

Many of my fastest 800m times have been set running from Terminal1 to Terminal2 in Dublin Airport.

Jokes aside.....and airport would actually not be a bad place to run with all those long corridors.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Sure I've done that myself :)

What qualified as a run?

TbL

As long as it was a mile I think. Total crock of crap. Out hobbling on crutches etc. The man is a former world record holder yet he is known for this rubbish. He's a bit of a headbanger himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Bertie Messitt rip, had a running shop in Bray back in the '80's.
    He got Ron Hill over for a race in shankill. Both of them were in the shop and my sister and I walked in. He started talking to us and I was mesmerised with his conversation. Sister had to be told it was Ron Hill she was speaking to even though she'd met him at the race.

And then she came out with the sporting cliche " I didn't know you with your clothes on..." I got out rapid.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He's a spoofer... must be including all those days he ran up to shops in his car.

As long as it was a mile I think. Total crock of crap. Out hobbling on crutches etc. The man is a former world record holder yet he is known for this rubbish. He's a bit of a headbanger himself.

Why the cynicism?

The guy is in his 70s; should he be doing 12x400s every second day?

If he has run every day for 50 years, and decides to run on crutches once or twice so as not to break the streak, I'd be happy to give him the benefit of the doubt......

Advertisement