Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A moreau bronze

Options
  • 30-01-2017 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭

Bronze signed A MOREAU it looks old and not like one of the many modern versions

And I am wondering if anyone would know anything about it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Bronze signed A MOREAU it looks old and not like one of the many modern versions

And? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Del.Monte wrote: »
    And? :confused:

I was trying to post pics in the hope someone would know something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,185 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Is it actually bronze or is a cold cast resin/bronze? A genuine original bronze would be quite valuable. a couple of ways to tell

Feel the weight of the sculpture. A hot-cast (metal) bronze sculpture will be quite heavy, while a cold-cast (resin) sculpture will feel fairly light weight. For example, a small hot-cast bronze sculpture (about 12" tall) might weigh 6-10 pounds, while the same sculpture cold-cast will weigh only a couple of pounds.

Lightly tap a hollow part of the sculpture with the wooden part of a pencil. If your sculpture is metal, the tap will ring. If your sculpture is made of cold-cast bronze, it will produce a dull "thud."

Finally, on an inconspicuous area of your sculpture, for example, on the bottom of the piece, scratch a small area to reveal the material under the patina. If the revealed area appears bright gold in color, your sculpture is metal rather than cold cast resin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Is it actually bronze or is a cold cast resin/bronze? A genuine original bronze would be quite valuable. a couple of ways to tell

It is bronze alright I am familiar with cold cast and this is the real thing.
    Moreau bronzes are still being sold a lot in the U S A but are copies and sold as such though they fetch good prices.

The marble base on my bronze looks very old in design and just appears to have an old look about it.I will try to get pics up in the next couple of days and se what you think,thanks for the interest shown.

Advertisement