Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Both Extend and Duplicate Displays?

Options
  • 30-01-2017 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

I recently picked up a 3m HDMI cable so I can connect my PC to the TV that I use for my console collection.
    I'm looking to duplicate my main display to my TV so I can play some controller based games from the sofa.
    Both the monitor and TV are 1080p so it shouldn't be much of an issue doing so, however I am also running a second monitor to the left of my main monitor as an extended display.
    Obviously Windows does not natively allow you to extend one display and use another to duplicate which is think is ridiculous at this stage.
    Only solutions I found while looking up this issue is to buy one of those horribly expensive HDMI splitters which I won't out of general principal.
    Surely there must be third party software or a possible work around that someone here knows of that can solve this problem?
    I'm running a 3GB HD 7950 BTW

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think the 7950 only supports dual display and the third needs an active DP adaptor - open to correction but I don't think you'll get 3 displays going otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

I have a active DP to DVI adapter, it came with the card when I bought as a promotional thing for eyefinitiy by Sapphire, never actually needed it before but was able to dig it out of the mess that is my storage space, the adapter is working, three displays are detected the only issue now is sorting them out now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Have you tried using Ultramon? I'm not overly familiar with it but it's a very popular software for all sorts of monitor configurations.

I have not, I shall look in to that one asap, there was one I used awhile ago, can't remember what it was called but it also supported what I'm looking for but they don't support Windows 8 or 10 hence why I started the thread.
    I only used it tho to have different desktop backgrounds on each monitor.

• Advertisement

Using Ultramon now and it's doing the job really nicely now.
    I might get that splitter Skerris recommended at some point so I can connect my 360 and ps3 to my monitor so I can still use them when the wife is using the TV to play one of the older consoles, moving soon tho so that might be subject to change

Advertisement